E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got home and got a flat...large hole in tire. Currently using the M mobility system to put air in.. Don't want to let it sit on rim..

Thoughts on what to do? Don't have a jack that will fit (maybe a neighbor will have), and everywhere is closed...

Will it damage the wheel to let it sit overnight on a totally flat tire??

·
Registered
473 Posts
Call BMW roadside assistance- They should be able to get that sucker to the local dealer (on a flatbed! Don't let 'em tow it- just in case they try for some loony reason), and put it down on something that will prop up the frame / suspension on the axel with the flat-

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thxguy said:
Call BMW roadside assistance- They should be able to get that sucker to the local dealer (on a flatbed! Don't let 'em tow it- just in case they try for some loony reason), and put it down on something that will prop up the frame / suspension on the axel with the flat-
So will it damage the wheel to let it sit overnight?

I'm not sure if I take it to dealer if there is anything to prop it up with under the frame...

·
Bimmerless
1,551 Posts
There is a can of fix a flat. how big is the hole do you think? is it leaking to the point where you can hear it? use the tire seal if you think it will hold, and pump it up. But im thinking your tire is done for, high performance tires shouldnt be patched, if you ask me. but that is just a paranoia i have.

·
Alpha Male
6,032 Posts
there should be a removable jack point next to your M mobility kit in the trunk.

Find a local fanatics and borrow his jack and place a block unter the car to support it.

Also the tire is ruined already so the tire should protect the rim from damage if you don't drive on it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the question is:

does it damage the rim in any way to leave it supporting the weight of the car overnight? The hole is big in the tire..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Don't use fix-a-flat! It makes a mess on the inside of the rim that most mechanics don't clean when replacing a tire. Also fix-a-flat is flammable, so tell the mechanic before hand if it has fix-a-flat in it, wouldn't want that stuff to ignite accidentially. Just letting it sit on the rim should be OK, unless you have some lightweight aluminum rims, just don't try driving on it. Even though the tire is probably already ruined, you would not want the tire to come off the rim while driving it and risk scarring up your rims.

4,171 Posts
M3Fella said:
So the question is:

does it damage the rim in any way to leave it supporting the weight of the car overnight? The hole is big in the tire..
There is nothing to worry about, your rim is not made out of soggy cardboard!

Call RA in the morning, get a good night's sleep.

- Rob

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah- Don't use fix-a-flat it does mess up the rims, and even if the hole is reparable (though it sounds like your is not) it messes up the tires.

If you do have a jack in your kit- get the car high enough to at least get someting under the axel- to help support the weight-

Your rim should be fine overnight- but it is designed not to have a large weight at one point (like resting on the bare rim)- So like Clem said the tire will protect it a bit- But personally I'd find a way to ease the weight on it a bit; even if you fill up the tire as much as possible with your air system, and jam something under the axel- like 2x4's on their side- so when the tire deflates- some of the weight rests on the wood under the axel-

Good luck Bro!

4,171 Posts
You guys are going to make M3Fella go crazy with jacks and pieces of wood.

Am I the only one that has seen a car sit on a flat for months or years and the rim is still fine? It's a rim, fer chrissakes - one of the strongest parts of a car!

It can sit on the flat tire. If your rim has a flat spot in the morning, it means the earth's gravitational pull mysteriously increased 1000X overnight.

- Rob

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Now ask Rob if it's okay to use nitrous if you have a flat :D

4,171 Posts
Keeferno said:
Now ask Rob if it's okay to use nitrous if you have a flat :D
You can use nitrous - and if you do, you won't care that you have a flat. Makes your voice deep, really cool!

Oh wait, isn't that what you meant?

(See, there is a good use for that big blue tank!)

- Rob

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Yeah, too bad there's an ingredient they add to nitrous for automotive use which would make you hurl if you ever tried to inhale it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Anyone ever tried inhaling freon? I knew this guy who would go around to people's AC units outside their house and valve off some freon in a plastic bag. He would inhale it claiming he got high from it. What a moron!!:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts