E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading suspension threads for weeks. If it's a KW thread everybody raves about them. Same if it's FK thread. Nobody seems to have any issues with either. The other option is to skip coilovers and go with Koni Yellows and Eibach.

Has anyone actually done a comparison? It's a DD 330Xi and has to be acceptable to the wife. If someone could point me at a thread or give me your experiences I'd really appreciate it. I've also looked at the TC Klines but they would run over 2K.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I cannot recommend FK for your wife if she is used to a stock-like level of ride comfort. However, FK is the most afford set of coilovers and offer many benefits if ride height is a motivating factor.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to lower a bit just to get rid of the fender gap. The car only gets driven a couple times a week. We live in the Chicago and it's cheaper taking cabs then pay for parking.

We really have it for out of town trips. Every couple of months we go see the parents 100 miles north. We do have a 3 week road trip this fall to follow Route 66 to California.

So most of the driving is highway with a little in the city. The drop would be for looks but I don't want to compromise the ride too much.

Because of our climate I'd have to go with the SilverLine Plus X Coilover System for the stainless bodies. So the difference against to V1s. So with the Koni sale at Tire Rack it would be about $900.00 for the Koni / Eibach combo, and the FK and V1 at $12,000 to $1300. Not a huge difference in price.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ive always thought of spring and shock combo is better for dd... But last week i got a deal for bilstein pss10 for $400 slightly used and i couldnt pass that up.
I installed them yesturday and did the allignment. The front are good but rears are too hard.. Need to adjust to softer setting.
Its tight!! You feel everything on the road but the bumps are not as bad as i thought they would be. For a wife id say too rough. Stick with shock and springs like HR sport

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't yet. We didn't get any service records with the car so I'm changing all the fluids and bushings that need it. I've got BMW Performance rotors and StopTech pads to put on. With the new rims and tires I've got about 3 fingers gap. Hopefully the springs and shocks will eliminate most of that.

The only other suspension I felt comfortable was TC Kline. They use a threaded sleeve over Koni shocks so you have the dampening adjustment of the shocks and the height adjustment from the sleeves. It would be a custom build but it's real popular with the e90 crowd. You also have a choice of spring rates.

Most of the lower price coilovers don't offer a lot of flexibility in the setup. It does run about 2K and that's a little hard to justify on a car that gets less than 5000 miles per year.

I'll probably end up with the Konis and Eibachs after I get all the maintenance stuff done.

·
Vendor
10,577 Posts
You where correct early about the adjustable FKs running Koni shocks, my guys running them that are not slammed on the ground say they ride very smooth. Once you seriously lower the car they do get rather firm. HERE is a link to the adjustable FKs for the 330xi, I have a few sets on order for stocking of the Konigsports, the SilverLine Plus X are special order only. If you choose to go with Koni Yellows and Eibach springs (great combo by the way) I built a custom cart for you to review, it can be found HERE.

·
Registered
182 Posts
BTW...found the Koni yellows/Eibach from Captwholesale.com for $787 shipped. Never dealt with this company before and I don't know anything about them, so be warned. I just know that they are a few hundred cheaper than anyone else and I plan on using their pricing for competitor match when I get my suspension set up in a few weeks. Just an FYI!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tire Rack has the Koni Yellow and Eibach Pro-Kit for $831.00. The only FK I could go with is the Silver Line Plus X at $1199.00 since I live in Chicago and would need the stainless. Pretty big price difference just for height adjustability. I haven't been able to find much historical data on how the FKs ride and last.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.