E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just like the title says the collar that lowers and raises the ride height on the coilovers is like seized. It won't go up nor will it go down. Ive searched on here for days with no old threads covering the topic. I've sprayed PB Buster on the coilovers threads, i've rented strut spring compressors to try to remove the spring and lower the collar that way, but i either can't compress them enough to take the 21mm nut off at the top, or its stuck as well. I've decided to take the coilovers to some shop tomorrow and just have them try their luck at it if you guys dont have any suggestions for me as to what to do. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
There is a very small screw that gets tightened to keep the collar in place. Did you loosen that?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes the 3mm hex screw at the bottom,tried that but it didnt work. Not sure about the lifetime warranty, the shocks are fine i just need the height adjusters to work.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Soak it with WD-40 yet? Alot of dirt can get stuck in those grooves which seizes movement of the collar and dont be afraid to bang the **** out of it with a rubber mallet

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Soak it with WD-40 yet? Alot of dirt can get stuck in those grooves which seizes movement of the collar and dont be afraid to bang the **** out of it with a rubber mallet
good advice, but i soaked it with PB blaster which is a equivalent if not better than wd-40 havent tried the rubber mallet though. there was alot of dirt stuck in the grooves, but im suspecting small rocks are the reason for the seizure,plus the amount of pressure from the springs. I really thought the machpherson spring compressors would be the solution to this issue but they really dont seem to fit so i cant get the maximum compression from them. and i dont think the coil spring compressors will work from their design either.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i took them to midas,goodyear,les schwab and one other auto shop and none of them could help. they said they don't have spring compressors small enough to fit the diameter of the kw springs. plus the collar is either cross threaded or has a ton of rocks in between the grooves. i'm ready to say f*#k it and give up, or just have someone cut the collar off and order new ones...Pissed.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Breaker bar?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
evidently from their website they will fix the shocks if i pay the shipping cost. gotta wait till monday for that to happen though.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just had the same problem today with my v2's having a very hard time moving the passenger side spring lowering collar.

How low are you trying to get your car....I wanna lower mine for better handling but don't know how low is too low, or even what I'm doing to be honest...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
never used it and im not sure what it does...does it break something?
put the adj wrench that comes with the kit on the shock collar and get a long metal bar and adj and see what happens lolz

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just had the same problem today with my v2's having a very hard time moving the passenger side spring lowering collar.

How low are you trying to get your car....I wanna lower mine for better handling but don't know how low is too low, or even what I'm doing to be honest...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App
well my passenger side is about a inch to almost a inch and a half higher than my drivers side, so at this point i just want them to be equal. But if i had MY way it would be a quarter inch to a half a inch away from being maxed out on both sides. before this situation occurred i thought KW was like top of the line as far as suspension goes for BMW's and cars to that effect. Not soooo much now SMH. but i do appreciate their warranty lol.:read:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
put the adj wrench that comes with the kit on the shock collar and get a long metal bar and adj and see what happens lolz
well the fact that the suspension scares the **** out of me as it is because of the spring and the compression factor im going to elect not to do that. thanks for the suggestion anyhow.:thumbup:

·
Registered
761 Posts
did you try tightening it?

sounds silly, but if you tighten it you will be able to see more threads and be able to clean them aswell

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
did you try tightening it?

sounds silly, but if you tighten it you will be able to see more threads and be able to clean them aswell
yeah thats kinda how im here in the first place. i thought the higher the collar the lower the car, thats turned out to be false, so when i tried to lower the collar thats when they seized. well my last ditch effort besides shipping them back and having my car down for a while is to take it to the car hobby shop on base and use their impact wrench and wrench compressors and vice grips to try to take the coilover apart and bang the ship out of the collar and try to nudge it down.hopefully this works :rolleyes:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i took it to the base hobby shop and i was able to use the stationary strut spring compressor to take the strut apart. and with the tools there i was able to get the collar to move a few mm down to match the height of my other coilover. i ran into the problem of not being able to compress the spring evenly to put the coilover back together though :(. so since i cant put it back together and one of my height adjusters is pretty much done for, im just going to call kw tomorrow to arrange shipment for them to fix the coilovers.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so after this ordeal i really see a market for coilover spring compressors. some one should invent one, they would make a killing with it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so im doing some research on the stance-works forum and evidently the other spring on the coilover is a helper spring or secondary spring. can anyone chime in on what the effects would be if i took the smaller spring off of the coilovers?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.