BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the coils that you guys have, is the small helper spring on the bottom or the top?

If you guys don't know what I'mt alking about, there are two springs that are located on the front coils. There is a spring and a helper spring, during install did you guys put the helper spring (smaller one) on top of or bottom of the big spring? Would people mind taking some pcitures for me, thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
KW's front springs are actually 2 springs: the main spring, and a helper spring. The function of the helper spring is to keep the main spring snug if the suspension gets fully unloaded. When the suspension is loaded, these springs become fully compressed and do nothing.

In some cases, they only fit on one way. If this is not the case, it doesn't really matter which way you put the spring on (usually people have the helper spring on the bottom).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone else have input on this, are your helper spring on the top of bottom?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,508 Posts
topazmania said:
KW's front springs are actually 2 springs: the main spring, and a helper spring. The function of the helper spring is to keep the main spring snug if the suspension gets fully unloaded. When the suspension is loaded, these springs become fully compressed and do nothing.

In some cases, they only fit on one way. If this is not the case, it doesn't really matter which way you put the spring on (usually people have the helper spring on the bottom).
Only use 4 springs in the front of the car when needing to jump over tall buildings:lmao:



But seriously...WTH????? I have the KW's and it does not have 2 springs in each front corner. This is what comes in the kit 4 springs for 4 corners of the car. There is no helper spring? Maybe your are talkin about the purple adjustment collar, but in no way does that have any "spring" tendencies.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Hey John. Looks like you didn't get the 60mm spring version of the kit. Look at the picture on the box. Some people have that version of the kit which does have the helper spring.

Oh, and to answer hamann99's question, look at the picture John posted. The picture on the KW box shows where the helper spring should be. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,508 Posts
topazmania said:
Hey John. Looks like you didn't get the 60mm spring version of the kit. Look at the picture on the box. Some people have that version of the kit which does have the helper spring.
My coilovers are Variant 2's
Maybe Edris owns the Variant 1's or just the M kit is different:dunno:

But i do see exactly what u mean on the box...interesting
:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have v2 also ;) I'll take some pics for you later jon, JawKnee and I didn't notice it when we did the instasll so we have to undo it and turn them right side up again :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
How come you have to install the front springs youself? Mine came preassemble.

Helper springs in the top.

Edris, your KW V2 sounds funny to me.

And John, yes E46 M3 is different than normal E46. Also your damper adjust for the rear is at the top. Ours have to take the shock out and turns. :thumbdwn:
 

·
Law Enforcer
Joined
·
2,342 Posts
From my experience w/ dual spring coilover setups, the helper spring goes on the bottom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Calvin, when I did the install with Johnny, we had to take the spring hat off from the stock shock in order to put it on my new ones, unfornately all the **** fell off and we didn't even pay attention, lol. Now do you get where I'm coming from, yes it was pre-assembled for us also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GhostRider said:
Check this link from the KW GB at renn-sport.net.

v.1 and v.3 appear to have the helper spring but kw v.2 do not.
The helper spring appears to be on bottom for the v.1 and on top for the v.3

http://www.renn-sport.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=727
OH jeeze, now I have to do more thinking !:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: time to ask samir
 

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
Joined
·
7,083 Posts
Guys...

John from Jersey...your setup doesn't have helper springs on the front struts.

If you look at the KW install diagrams; you're clearly see the helper spring goes on top depsite the picture on the front of the box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm confused then, why do some setup have their helper springs on top and some on bottom? I dont' want to take my coils off and realize that I just didd this for nothing, anyone else have v2 and could add some technical input?
 

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
Joined
·
7,083 Posts
hamann99 said:
I'm confused then, why do some setup have their helper springs on top and some on bottom? I dont' want to take my coils off and realize that I just didd this for nothing, anyone else have v2 and could add some technical input?

You should be able to put the helper spring on the top or bottom...it really shouldn't matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
Edris, the simplest way is just to call KW Suspension. They are in Vancouver and they have a toll free number. You can also bring your car there and have them to fix it. 1-888-530-1433.

IF they can't even answer your question, then you are really out of luck. :D
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top