E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering changing out the stock radio in my 2004 E46.
I looked at one place and they quoted me for a full setup of the KVT-614. I was wondering if anyone else has one, and their thought. Even pictures if you have them. Is there any problems with blocking the vents? I wonder if heat or cold affects the screen, as when it is flipped out, it will directly block the center vents. Also, is the only way to listen/control the radio with the screen out? Or do you have some basic functions with the screen stowed? My typical commute to work is about 25+min, so on those trips I see having the screen out, but for those quick trips to the market, only 10 min down the road I wouldn't want to bother with having the screen come out, and anysetup time that may be associated with it, that said, is it a quick machine, or is there any lag after pushing a button? Anycase, thanks and if you have other recommendations I'm all ears. I read a few posts mentioning getting one with an external lcd that allows some basic functionality, but I haven't seen a recent one about it that offers an example. Thanks again.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am seriously considering changing out the stock radio in my 2004 E46.
I looked at one place and they quoted me for a full setup of the KVT-614. I was wondering if anyone else has one, and their thought. Even pictures if you have them.
Is there any problems with blocking the vents?
>It will block almost all air flow from the center vents. But you can close it once you have your audio input selected and control it closed.

I wonder if heat or cold affects the screen, as when it is flipped out, it will directly block the center vents.
> No. It does not seem to effect the screen at all.
Also, is the only way to listen/control the radio with the screen out? Or do you have some basic functions with the screen stowed?
>You can listen to it open or closed
My typical commute to work is about 25+min, so on those trips I see having the screen out, but for those quick trips to the market, only 10 min down the road I wouldn't want to bother with having the screen come out, and anysetup time that may be associated with it, that said,is it a quick machine, or is there any lag after pushing a button?
>Quick

Anycase, thanks and if you have other recommendations I'm all ears. I read a few posts mentioning getting one with an external lcd that allows some basic functionality, but I haven't seen a recent one about it that offers an example. Thanks again.
I have the kvt512 and I love it. Easy to use. A lot of features. Very durable. Id recommend any kenwood flip out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. Did you consider going with a double din setup? I saw a thread that someone figured out how to do it without having to modify the vent system. I'm thinking about this way because it looks more OEM. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the information. Did you consider going with a double din setup? I saw a thread that someone figured out how to do it without having to modify the vent system. I'm thinking about this way because it looks more OEM. Your thoughts?

No. Cutting up the vents is dumb I think. And I haven't seen a way to do it without cutting them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts