BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any expeirence with either of the SHOCKS....? Any comments? Also, where can they be found for the cheapest$ $

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have had both (not on current car) and liked both but I prefer the Koni because of the adjustability. I don't know how these prices compare, but right now there is a Koni GB happening.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have konis and really like them. But I have not had any experience with Billsteins; but they are certainly popular. If I had to choose again I would stick with the Konis.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Despite the bias for Koni's on this board, I have to disagree.

My friend owns Eurotire on 46 in Fairfield NJ. They do suspension work, and he's always prefered Bilstein over Koni's due to the harsh ride Koni's give. I think he qualifies as an experienced professional, as he's worked on hundreds of cars in the last 20 years.

The high pressure monotube design is patented, and allows better control than the Koni's twintube low pressure design. The "adjustability" on the Koni's is to make up for pressure loss over time, despite the marketing claims to the contrary. The Bilstein's don't require this, as they rarely fail at all.

Here's a copy/paste from another VERY experienced professional's opinion from elsewhere on this board:

The issue of which is better, Koni or Bilstein has no simple answer. As with many things in life, it depends on what compromises are important.

The Konis are adjustable and this can be important to some drivers. If you want to set the car very stiff to run competitive events and then soften it up somewhat for the drive home, the adjustable feature is nice. The adjustable feature also allows some correction for any decrease in dampening control due to wear over time. My associate Kern Fischer (former engineer for GM, Ford, Director of engineering for Maremont Corp. manufacturers of Gabriel and other private label shocks and former pro rally driver) and I, discussed this issue in depth over lunch today. I asked Kern to document his comments as my short hand stinks. He offers the following:

"The adjustment is on jounce (wheel moving down relative to body) control only. If too much jounce control is introduced, the wheel cannot adequately follow uneven surfaces and handling can actually be decreased. Ride quality also suffers. The adjustable feature also requires some experimentation and expertise to optimize the settings front to rear for any particular track/road situation. What works well at one track may not work well at another.

The Bilstein dampers have linear valveing control that is tailored to the vehicle. My experience of having them on four vehicles and working with numerous customers on custom applications is that they are very tolerant of variations in spring rate and vehicle weight. They also offer excellent ride/handling compromise. In all cases the ride quality has been very acceptable and the handling control is excellent.

The Bilsteins have also proven to be very long lived. Of the four personal cars, one was sold with 105,000 on the dampers and it went to 140,000 before losing track of the car. One currently has 80,000 on the dampers. It is used on the street and track and is very stable and controllable while still being a treat to drive.

Car 3 had no listing in the Bilstein catalogue so we built some special dampers using the factory strut tubes with inserts that were physically correct but were designed for other (lighter) cars. The front inserts were for one car and the rears were for another. This effort was expended because I knew that the installation would be a "install and forget" situation. The car was sold with 12 years of use and 120,000 miles on the dampers. It had been used primarily as a street car but also had in excess of 20 track weekends on it. Just before the sale it had been to two track events and felt like new. The purchaser, coming back from the test drive, commented that he was amazed at the handling, given the miles on the car. His second comment was "can I take it home now!" It is still being used three years later, same dampers - current mileage unknown.

The experience with these 3 cars led to the choice of Bilstein for the 4th car. The car as delivered from the factory had good handling but was slightly soft for my taste. It also had some nose rise under acceleration and dip under braking. The installation of Bilsteins resulted in a more stable chassis while the ride quality remained relatively unchanged even with the sport setting." (end of commentary)

Several years ago, Road and Track performed a damper test. At that time, Koni and Bilstein were the leaders of the pack by a fair margin. The Konis set on full stiff were slightly faster than the Bilstein on the track but the car could not be driven comfortably on the street with that setting. The Bilsteins were very acceptable for both environments with their single dampening setting.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
AlexRDI330ci said:
Despite the bias for Koni's on this board, I have to disagree...
I prefer Bilstein's myself. I feel that they have quicker response and feels more precise. I also think most of use don't have the ability of properly adjusting the Koni's for optimal damping.

·
Bimmerless
1,862 Posts
I've had Bilsteins on two cars now, and never had a problem with any of them. I put over 130,000 miles on my e30 with them on, with me driving like a maniac, and they held up the whole time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've owned a few sets of both (Koni Sport and Bilstein Sport) on a number of VWs, BMWs and Porsches. I prefer the Konis. They offer rebound (jounce) damping control, and in many applications more wheel travel! This is very pronounced on the front of E36s and E46s. Bilsteins tend to have very firm rebound damping which is why they will work on a wide range fo spring rates, but the ride and handling can suffers on poor surfaces. Not a big deal an 100+mph on the Autobahn, but not so good on a rough backcountry road! Get the Konis, I can't find a reason not to!

·
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!
3,929 Posts
Koni Adjustables 8 days a week.... but try the search feature from time to time Frankie this topics been beaten to death!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts