BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've searched alot and narrowed it down to these two. I'll be getting either Eibach Pro Kit Springs or H&R Sport Springs to use with these shocks. I consider my roads to be "medium", not perfectly smooth, but certainly not real rough like NY city.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,644 Posts
Well I just installed the Bilstein Sport with my Pro-kit, ride is simply amazing. Also read several reviews that the Bilstein sports are a"good match" for the pro-kit. Road quality is horrible here uneven everywhere, rough surface, potholes, you name it. I find the combination to be much better than stock (even when the stock was nearly new when I got the car)

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I have bilstein sport on eibach pro-kit and it's amazingly like stock.. I would highly suggest going to the sportlines for moar drop and better handling and add some powerflex fcab and URL be perfect. I live around good roads so I'm adding uuc sways in a week

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks paraklas & steven.

Anyone Else ?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
edit: if your looking for stock height and stock handling its perfect. if you wanna slightely tighten it up powerflex fcab. and if thats not enough sways. its a very good progressive setup to see if you want a little more and a little more and a little more.

gl but i shyed away from h&r because i hate the racked look and the ride is too uncomfortable.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I ran H&R Sport springs / Koni FSD's on my E46, the FSD's are really nice shocks, seriously good stuff.
I ended up disliking the raked look as well, but it's a good thing if you typically have passengers in the rear.

For a nice drop, improved handling & a good ride quality, go with Eibach Pro-kit with the FSD's, best spring/shock combo out there IMHO.

·
Registered
2006 325Ci M56 5MT
1,031 Posts
Sorry to thread jack a little, but i dont want to post another thread and this somewhat related, i got some H&R sport Springs off a fellow fanatic, from what i read, is that if i put these on my stock sport suspension (63k), they would cause them to fail quicker? So my question is, should i just get a new set and avoid re installing these springs? I'm not sure how long my sport suspension would last these springs, and just overhaul my suspension. What else should i replace, other than shocks and struts? Ive recently done my FCABs, but thats about it. Thanks

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Sorry to thread jack a little, but i dont want to post another thread and this somewhat related, i got some H&R sport Springs off a fellow fanatic, from what i read, is that if i put these on my stock sport suspension (63k), they would cause them to fail quicker? So my question is, should i just get a new set and avoid re installing these springs? I'm not sure how long my sport suspension would last these springs, and just overhaul my suspension. What else should i replace, other than shocks and struts? Ive recently done my FCABs, but thats about it. Thanks

With 63K on a stock susp. performance lowering springs will make stock shocks/struts fail quickly. I would give serious consideration to either of the shocks in this thread, I run Bilstein Sports but would really like to try out the Koni FSD. You can't go wrong with either. As to replacing other components you will at least need RSM's (rear shock mounts). BimmerWorld sells several excellent brands at $99, but I use the one they sell for $39; it works great.

http://store.bimmerworld.com/lifetime-e30e36e46-3-series-rear-shock-mount-set-p397.aspx

Good luck.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,756 Posts
I'll give you the short version, if you want the longer version call us, we field this question almost every day.

FSD if you just want a sporty ride and you don't want to wrench around every time you go up in the twists. The FSD is pretty good about adjusting (it is, after all, called Frequency Selective Dampening) based on how you are driving at that very moment.

If you're a tinkerer, the kind of guy who loves to change his own oil and tweak his own car, get the Koni Sport (Yellows) which you can adjust.

I don't usually recommend Bilstein HD. I think they're coil overs are among the best in the business but their shocks never really impressed me unless paired with a custom-made spring.

Just my 0.02. Call us and we'll be happy to help you either way.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I'll give you the short version, if you want the longer version call us, we field this question almost every day.

FSD if you just want a sporty ride and you don't want to wrench around every time you go up in the twists. The FSD is pretty good about adjusting (it is, after all, called Frequency Selective Dampening) based on how you are driving at that very moment.

If you're a tinkerer, the kind of guy who loves to change his own oil and tweak his own car, get the Koni Sport (Yellows) which you can adjust.

I don't usually recommend Bilstein HD. I think they're coil overs are among the best in the business but their shocks never really impressed me unless paired with a custom-made spring.

Just my 0.02. Call us and we'll be happy to help you either way.
bilstein sports and lowered springs are a fantastic combo. i dont think any aftermarket shock can hold h&r race for extended periods of time but i dont know fursure. eibach pro-kit and bilsteins sports with poly bushings and sways ftmfw

·
Registered
305 Posts
Let it be known that KONI FSD Shocks have not been approved for use with any other spring other than stock springs, with exception to the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs. The valving on KONI FSDs do not allow for enough shock travel for anything less, according to the KONI engineers we've met with at SEMA. Bilstein Sport Shocks on the other hand, are pretty much bulletproof and can be used with any lowering spring on the market. If you're going to run stock springs and swear by having the Bilstein name on your car, then opt for the Bilstein HDs - a shock designed for use on stock springs, but not for lowering springs. If it's H&R Sport Springs you must have, then go with KONI Sport Shocks. KONI Sports, like Bilstein Sports, are bulletproof and valved to work with any lowering spring out there. They're also rebound dampening adjustable (unlike the Bilstein Sport Shocks) and are considered to be the very best shock absorber in the world for lowering springs because of this.

As one (1) of only (2) Warehouse Distributors in North America for B&G, Eibach, H&R and KONI, we have much experience with these lines, as suspension makes up for most of what we do here. If you'd like some 1-on-1 consultation on what set-up would work best for your budget, driving habits and expectations from suspension, send us a PM with your contact info and one of our reps will call you to discuss options.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,061 Posts
Damper travel is independent of valving. Something smells wrong here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did the FSD/ProKit combo last spring (~18 months ago) and couldn't be happier. Ride is more comfortable than stock AND handles better, two traits that I had previously thought were diametrically opposed. I was coming from the standard (non-sport) suspension, so it was a pretty radical drop from where I started, but I'm loving the hell out of it. I was planning on replacing the car next year, but now I'm seriously reconsidering.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Did the FSD/ProKit combo last spring (~18 months ago) and couldn't be happier. Ride is more comfortable than stock AND handles better, two traits that I had previously thought were diametrically opposed. I was coming from the standard (non-sport) suspension, so it was a pretty radical drop from where I started, but I'm loving the hell out of it. I was planning on replacing the car next year, but now I'm seriously reconsidering.
THIS.

Based on a lot of reading on this combo, This probably should be the "Go To" suspension system for our cars.

Forum BIG word of the day: "Diametrically".

·
Registered
0 Posts
i have KONI FSD paired with H&R sports. it is my daily driver and i realllllllly like this set up. it is smoooth when your cruising and stiffens up when you corner aggressively. it is NOT super aggressive. there is still body roll but of course a sway bar upgrade will help that.

over all i give them a B+ A- only because i have some rubbing issues in the passenger rear ever since i added the non adjustable shocks.

hope this helps. sorry for the lazy typing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've had my FSD for a month and so far, and I love and hate them.

My car has 100,000 miles. On stock springs, and heavy duty suspension bushings. I drive with the flow of traffic when I carry passengers, but turn off DSC and TC when I drive alone.

The FSD do adjust but remember ONLY on slow rebounds, basically when the car has any transfer of load. Braking, accelerating or steady cornering.

So most of the time the car is slightly under damped (feels even softer than my worn out shocks), but will stiffen up for certain conditions. They will absorb all fast suspension movements, tar strips, repair patches, etc. It's amazing how COMFORTABLE the car is now. But the only draw back of this is if you saw the steering back and fourth like I did when I was trying to dodge a piece of wood on the freeway, the car didn't respond that well (my old worn out shocks were even better at this).
I also have bottom out the a couple of times now, I'm not sure if it's because the compression damping is slightly soft or if it's because I'm driving much faster on bumpy roads with the FSD's. The car is also a touch lower with the FSD, it's hardly noticeable though.

So I don't recommend this for any serious driver who needs serious damping at all times under all conditions. Serious drivers should buy something adjustable. But there is no question if you're looking for a comfortable ride, this is for you.

I bought this on a recommendation from a Tirerack sales person who was saying this is the best thing out there, and said it did really well on their track. Unfortunatly I don't drive on their track most of the time, or any of the time. Now he doesn't return my emails.

I should have bought the adjustable Koni Sports.

Drive carefully!

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I've had my FSD for a month and so far, and I love and hate them.

My car has 100,000 miles. On stock springs, and heavy duty suspension bushings. I drive with the flow of traffic when I carry passengers, but turn off DSC and TC when I drive alone.

The FSD do adjust but remember ONLY on slow rebounds, basically when the car has any transfer of load. Braking, accelerating or steady cornering.

So most of the time the car is slightly under damped (feels even softer than my worn out shocks), but will stiffen up for certain conditions. They will absorb all fast suspension movements, tar strips, repair patches, etc. It's amazing how COMFORTABLE the car is now. But the only draw back of this is if you saw the steering back and fourth like I did when I was trying to dodge a piece of wood on the freeway, the car didn't respond that well (my old worn out shocks were even better at this).
I also have bottom out the a couple of times now, I'm not sure if it's because the compression damping is slightly soft or if it's because I'm driving much faster on bumpy roads with the FSD's. The car is also a touch lower with the FSD, it's hardly noticeable though.

So I don't recommend this for any serious driver who needs serious damping at all times under all conditions. Serious drivers should buy something adjustable. But there is no question if you're looking for a comfortable ride, this is for you.

I bought this on a recommendation from a Tirerack sales person who was saying this is the best thing out there, and said it did really well on their track. Unfortunatly I don't drive on their track most of the time, or any of the time. Now he doesn't return my emails.

I should have bought the adjustable Koni Sports.

Drive carefully!

I KNOW you can make things much better with these two additions.

http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-ex...tegory_id/56/search_year/2004/search_model/84

http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-ex...tegory_id/56/search_year/2004/search_model/84

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...toModel=330i+Sedan&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I did FSDs with stock non-sport springs. Whaaat? I must be the only one.

Anyhow. They're too firm for me at low speeds, the car just feels bouncy around town. At speed it's impressively smooth and a bit more precise than the stock non-sport shocks. But, yeah, there's still quite a bit of body roll so yeah you won't get a gokart like feeling with evasive maneuvers. If you wanna track the car, FSDs aren't for you. If you've already got the sport suspension and want about that level of performance, the FSDs will probably be a nice step up.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I did koni yellows with vogtland springs. I did tons of research and found this to be best combo. Both have lifetime warranty, shocks are adjustable,and ride is awesome . . Thx

1 - 20 of 23 Posts