E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
This noise might be split into two..
The loud ‘pop’/knock when shifting between reverse/drive/park etc is very loud and noticeable. I have been told by mechanics it is likely backlash in my diff..
Second, is a general knocking in the rear when making sharp turns/ going over curbs/bumps and upon accelerating and decelerating.

I dont often get a chance to look under my car, but today I did and my rtab’s (rear trailing arm bushes) look absolutely SHOT.. I dont know how it hasnt been noticed, Its gone in the garage a few times for this knocking..
Do you think this is the culprit for the driving knocking sound? maybe even the park/reverse shifting sound aswell?

Any thoughts would be great, thanks guys

330ci 2003, 60k miles

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 780 K km
1,544 Posts
RTABs are gone, no doubt, but you also have to have good look at subframe and differential bushes. Do you have any service history for rear suspension?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RTABs are gone, no doubt, but you also have to have good look at subframe and differential bushes. Do you have any service history for rear suspension?
I have seen what I can from underneath (only the spare tyre jack.. oops) and others are ok, atleast nowhere near as bad as the rtabs.. I did the diff mount bushings a few months back and I know the rear springs have been replaced.
I’m suspicious of the shocks and mounts too.. they’ve not been changed.. probably overdue.

·
Registered
E46 320d touring 2002
458 Posts
when I changed my rear struts the right strut mout was about to colapse and pop through the interior trim, over bumps I heard a knocking sound. Have a friend drive your car and you in the back and listen on the area of the rear speakers, it should be noticeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.