BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Problem: Wheels are badly scratched
Cause: You backed into a curb while parking
Difficulty Level: 2/5 (hardest thing to do is to remove and install the wheels. Bondo and painting is just time consuming.)
Time: 3 days (Paint took a while dry and it was cold outside)
Materials: Bondo/body filler, 1Z Silver Spray Wheel Paint (Exact match to factory European alloys), Wurth High Gloss Clear Lacquer, 100 grit sand paper, 220 grit, and 400 grit, news paper, and of course your curbed wheels.
Solution:

Part one: Make sure your wheels are clean! Your efforts will be pointless if you have grease/brake dust. That said, bondo the areas that require refinishing

Sand the areas once the bond dries. Start with the roughest grit (that being the 100) and work your way up to the lightest (that being the 400). Clean areas once done and begin taping up the tires.

You don't want to repaint the entire wheel so only spray the areas that require work. Practice painting before you actually spray the wheels. Put a few coats on and wait for it to dry. Paint when its relatively warm otherwise the paint will take forever to dry. Once dry, spray the clear coat on. Repeat the clear until it is what you desire. Wait till it dries and then you're set.

Keep in mind that I have had no prior experience with bondo and minimal experience with painting. Wheels are a 3 footer...not perfect but it looks good enough.

Enjoy your rash free wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does wheel repair shop do the same thing? What do you think happens when tires get remounted? Do you think the mounting machine will rip those bondo right out?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
That's a great question!

Does wheel repair shop do the same thing? What do you think happens when tires get remounted? Do you think the mounting machine will rip those bondo right out?
nice DIY write up!

I would worry about the tires being changed and causing damage too. I guess you could take the tires too to be extra certain...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quick question just where can you get the spray paints w/o going online?
I have no idea...only place I heard of was online otherwise I would've picked it up rather than have the hassle of shipping it

Can't say for sure wheels shops do the same. But I can tell you that my rash didn't go to the lip but rather the face. There was only a small area on the lip and the chances of the tire mounter hitting that spot would be small I figure.

Very Nice... I really need to do this.

Thanks a bunch for this DIY!!! :thumbsup:
Yea no prob. Glad to give back to the community :thumbsup:

wow can you do this diy on a polish lip

I figure not since it's a polished lip. I think this is more of a DIY for factory rims.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Question: What happens when you have to change your tires? is it possible that the area around the lip chips again when you try to install new tires?

·
Registered
202 Posts
id like to know how the bondo will hold up when he didnt even sand/rough up the wheels before applying filler. atleast it looks like he didnt. that was mistake #1.

·
Registered
52 Posts
just bought the supplies, I am about to conquer this DIY over the weekend. Thanks for the instructions!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Any suggested local places to buy the supplies instead of online?

PS - sorry to resurrect old thread.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts