BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys thought id show my finished L7 setup. Its the 10" version of the L7, it fits almost perfectly, like it was designed for the car, there is a small gap above and below the sub, i used some of the origional foam that i cut to reseal it. eventually ill seal it properly. The subs running freeair using the boot space as the enclosure, i know this sub isnt designed for it but hell it sounds decent and it filled the bass void that the speakers couldnt provide. My setup takes little trunk space and looks fairly clean, im only running the amp (Cadence 1502) at about 1/2 gain due to the overwelming power this sub provides. i tried to make the setup look as stock as possible and i reckon i achieved that (at least for the cabin). once i put the armrest up, youll never know its there.

anywho main reason i put this up was to help others who were thinking of doing it, when i did the research there was probably only 2 other setups that i saw that were similar and there were aspects that i wasnt sure about. check out the pics ask me questions if you like, if i can help i will. incase you wonder what model i installed it in, its a 2000 e46 323i with m sports package.

the link below gave me some info on the setup, might help you too,
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749655

DSC04984.jpg

DSC04985.jpg

DSC04992.jpg

DSC04997.jpg

DSC04999.jpg

IMG_0011_2.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeh 10" fits almost perfectly, doesnt move at all, i only screwed the sides down as i mounted my sub in the center of the hole, its an extremely tight fit so it wont ever budge, just make sure you seal above and below the sub as there will be some noise cancellation, i used some of the extra foam that was left over that i had to cut works ok but the seal could be better. im planning on making some wood inserts to fill the gap and seal it using some soundproofing material my mate was telling me about. ill probably use some black material to match the sub

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yeah, when I do my setup, I'll be mounting some MDF to the sheet metal, and then mounting the sub to that. I'll probably end up sealing mine with silicone.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Here is my install. Did it this weekend with a JL 10W3V3 that looks CLEAN :)
Remember that you have to achieve good seal of the MDF in order to have true Infinite Baffle. Finally bass in the cabin! Wohoo. My Infinity Kappa Five Amp only gives the sub about 30% of full gain for good thump.

And a pic of my interior. Waiting for Dynavin v5 in the mail! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is my install. Did it this weekend with a JL 10W3V3 that looks CLEAN :)
Remember that you have to achieve good seal of the MDF in order to have true Infinite Baffle. Finally bass in the cabin! Wohoo. My Infinity Kappa Five Amp only gives the sub about 30% of full gain for good thump.

And a pic of my interior. Waiting for Dynavin v5 in the mail! :D

Oh nice setup dude, liking it alot, i originally setout to make a little mdf box like that for my kicker but got lazy once i saw how perfect it fit. im still going to put some mdf spacers in after new years hopefully seal it a bit better. how does that sub sound, never heard the JL subs in action before

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh nice setup dude, liking it alot, i originally setout to make a little mdf box like that for my kicker but got lazy once i saw how perfect it fit. im still going to put some mdf spacers in after new years hopefully seal it a bit better. how does that sub sound, never heard the JL subs in action before
Sounds very nice :woot:. Great sound quality, Im not really an SPL guy but would still be great for huge bass. I had a pair of Rockford Fosgates before this in a box; no contest, JL much much better sub. I spent about 30mins listening to music and setting the crossover points on my amp and have great results at about 70 Hz for Highpass and 30Hz for Lowpass (very important to set the LP to protect the sub as it is freeair). I had seen this sub and really liked the black clean look with the JL grill. Would recommend to anyone. Wish I could compare to the sound of your Kicker but would need to find an e46 with your install :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds very nice :woot:. Great sound quality, Im not really an SPL guy but would still be great for huge bass. I had a pair of Rockford Fosgates before this in a box; no contest, JL much much better sub. I spent about 30mins listening to music and setting the crossover points on my amp and have great results at about 70 Hz for Highpass and 30Hz for Lowpass (very important to set the LP to protect the sub as it is freeair). I had seen this sub and really liked the black clean look with the JL grill. Would recommend to anyone. Wish I could compare to the sound of your Kicker but would need to find an e46 with your install :rolleyes:
the JL would probably sound better than my kicker, The L7 was designed for a sealed enclosure, running it free air cuts it potential but still it sounds fairly beastie. its funny how long it took to find my L7, they dont sell any square sub in australia, looked for months i probably went to about 40 audio stores, i ended up buying it from the states, cost me bout $150 for the sub (seller had a sale) and about $100 just on postage but the setup looks fairly unique so im happy.

there was only 1 issue i found with my sub, the L7 i bought had duel 2ohm coils, so i was stuck with setting it up as 1ohm parallel or 4 ohm series this did make it alot harder to find an amp that wasn't extremely expensive. they do offer the L7 in duel 4 ohm (2ohm para, 8 ohm series) which would have been better as its much easier to find a 2 ohm amp that a 1 ohm but lessons learn't i guess. at least my mistake will stop someone else making it.

i happy anyway sounds good, looks good, what more can i want :D

ive attached a pic of my dash, i had plans to do a car pc, whether i build a unit from scratch or buy something premade is still under thought, ill prob decide by next year.

IMG_0248.JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts