BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a 2002 manual 325Ci and I've misplaced the only key. I'm doing a swap to a 97k miles 3.0L among other things. Brakes, interior etc... Plan is to start the engine swap in the next few weeks. Already replaced all the goodies you'd do with the engine out.

I have a donor 2003 automatic 330Ci. It came with 2 keys.

Can I take the lockset and ECU from the donor 330Ci to install into the 325Ci even though the transmissions are different? Any other issues I don'y know about?

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
It depends. If the 2003 is before 03/03, you can swap the DME, EWS, ignition switch, and locks and it'll work

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have done an engine swap and I think you would better off keeping the orig DME - reflashing it to the 3.0 tune (though you don***8217;t need to to get it running) and get a new Key from BMW. Changing ignition and locks and coding new DME to EWS is a bigger hassle.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The key transponders have the VIN and last-start mileage stored. The instrument cluster and several other modules have the VIN stored, and it must match (exceptions.. which are easily learned about if you go down that path).

Even if the hassle of swapping lock cylinders and coding modules doesn't put you off, the future paperwork hassle of a mismatched VIN and mileage might dissuade you.

I would order the least expensive key from BMW, and have a few aftermarket copies made from that key. You'll need to buy or borrow an AK90 to make the transponders.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again. I didn’t realize all that other stuff was coded in too.
The original key is somewhere, We just can’t lay hands on it.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,770 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts