E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum and have just bought my first e46, it's a 2 door 2002 325ci however the buttons on my key don't work to lock and unlock the car, the button for the trunk doesn't work either. I have tried to reprogram the key but this hasn't worked either. To do this I got in my car and shut the doors, I then switched the key to position one then removed it and held down button 2 while pressing button 1 three times. The car is then suppose to lock and unlock the doors to show the programming is complete however this did not happen. I also read that you need to turn the ignition to position 1 five times before pressing the buttons but this hasn't worked either.

A few more things that may or may not be relivent is when the doors automatically lock when driving, the drivers side does not but the passenger does. And when the doors are unlocked, the drivers side knob is much shorter than the passenger side.

Any tips or tricks anyone can tell me would be a great help!

Thanks
Katie

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
Sounds like you may have a few different problems.

1. You need to realize your car is 10 years old, so you may actually need new keys?? But before you spend money on the keys, see if you can borrow someones key and try to program it to your car. Note, you will user your key in the ignition and then use the borrowed key to make sure the actual keyfob antenna/amplifier are working. Also note if you borrow a key and you reprogram it to your car, it will then need to be reprogrammed with all the other keys for the car that is was borrowed from. Also you should be able to use a E39/E39/E46 type key, as long as it is the same basic shape, it should work.

2. Your driver door may have a bad actuator. This may be why you driver door does no work correctly.

You may also want to visit www.bmwgm5.com for more information regarding keyfob and door lock issues. It may be possible that your GM5 door lock relays are starting to go bad as well, but your current description does not match that problem very close. Usually when the relays go bad the doors will not unlock at times.

Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
try opening up the key and replacing the battery that worked for me, Im not sure about the driver door not closing when driving but probably what ^jfoj said is most likely the problem. cut open the key and try using a 2025 cell battery then reprogram it and see if it works then

·
Registered
300 Posts
If this is your only key do not cut it open. If you damage the circuit board inside you will not be able to start the car. If your car has not been used for a while the key's battery may be weak, it recharges while in the ignition. It may take a long drive or a few days if its been a long time since being used. Make sure you follow the reprogramming procedure carefully.

1. Get in and close (don't lock) all the doors.

2. Put the key in the ignition and switch momentarily to position 1 which is the first position when you turn the key clockwise. This is the accessory position. Don't stay in position 1 longer than 5 seconds; then turn the key back to the off position.

3. Remove the key.

4. On the key transmitter, press and hold button 1 (unlock). Press and release button 2 (lock) three times within 10 seconds while still pressing button 1 (unlock).

5. release button 1 (unlock).

6. The system indicates re-programming by locking and immediately unlocking the door locks.

7. If you want to do more remotes, you must do each within 30 seconds of step 6 for the proceeding key. You just need to repeat steps 4 through 6 for each key after the first.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cut it open i did what ^ did and it did not work, just cut it very carefully and take your time start at the top and work your way around the edges. Dont jam the blade or knife in there like a wild person cut through enough that when u feel it go through then start popping it open at the top by the key ring hole and carefully pull apart. The battery is soldered on so careful and pop those bits off too

Sent from my PG06100 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your suggestions! I tried replacing the battery but still no luck so i have ended up buying a new key on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NE...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46039fb5ad
I figured it was worth a try, better than the $650 bmw quoted me for a new key!!

In the meantime while i have been using my key manually my door lock has decided to jam!! It wont move to the right at all to lock so im now unable to lock my car, i took it to bmw for one of their technicions to take a look to tell me whats wrong and they said it needs a new barrel and actuator. The barrel for $400 and the actuator for $370!! And that the barrel needs to be specially ordered from germany to match my key? Its insane! Any suggestions as to what i can do? He said it might not need a whole new actuator just a part of it but theres no telling until its investigated fully. Im located in Australia if that helps at all.... i think i might put up another post about my new problems :(

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Thanks for all of your suggestions! I tried replacing the battery but still no luck so i have ended up buying a new key on ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NE...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46039fb5ad
I figured it was worth a try, better than the $650 bmw quoted me for a new key!!

In the meantime while i have been using my key manually my door lock has decided to jam!! It wont move to the right at all to lock so im now unable to lock my car, i took it to bmw for one of their technicions to take a look to tell me whats wrong and they said it needs a new barrel and actuator. The barrel for $400 and the actuator for $370!! And that the barrel needs to be specially ordered from germany to match my key? Its insane! Any suggestions as to what i can do? He said it might not need a whole new actuator just a part of it but theres no telling until its investigated fully. Im located in Australia if that helps at all.... i think i might put up another post about my new problems :(
ebay key wont start your engine. you need to buy from dealer.:facepalm:

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
A reasonable price for a replacement E46 keyfob is $160, you snould find them all day long if you find decent dealers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.