BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I pissed...I lost my keys! :censor:

Anyway I got my spare and none of the buttons work on it? I can start the car and lock and unlock the doors with the drivers door lock, but can't do anything with the remote buttons. I remember that a long time ago my car stopped responding to my spare when I would push either the lock or unlock bottun (can't remember which). But now it doesn't respond to any of them. I tried to do a key intitialization myself as described in the Bently service manual, but nothing.

Is there something I am not doing right, or do I have to go to the damn dealer. :hmm:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jeff323 said:
Well I pissed...I lost my keys! :censor:

Anyway I got my spare and none of the buttons work on it? I can start the car and lock and unlock the doors with the drivers door lock, but can't do anything with the remote buttons. I remember that a long time ago my car stopped responding to my spare when I would push either the lock or unlock bottun (can't remember which). But now it doesn't respond to any of them. I tried to do a key intitialization myself as described in the Bently service manual, but nothing.

Is there something I am not doing right, or do I have to go to the damn dealer. :hmm:
BMW recomends to charge the spare every 6 month by taking it on a long trip if the key is not used often. If the battery in the key can take charge, drive around and it should charge up.
You may have deprogrammed the key by trying initialization. Give it some time, if they key doesnt work after driving for few hours, try to initialize it again. If none work, check with the dealer.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah the best thing for you to do is drive around for a few days to recharge the battery in the key and then reprogram it. When you reprogram remember to have all the doors closed.
If you don't know how to reprogram the key, just post and I'll give you the instructions.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wjjeeper said:
Yeah the best thing for you to do is drive around for a few days to recharge the battery in the key and then reprogram it. When you reprogram remember to have all the doors closed.
If you don't know how to reprogram the key, just post and I'll give you the instructions.
Well, I've been driving with the key all week, and still nothing.

This is what I've been doing to initialize it:

1) Close all doors and windows

2) Turn key to accessory position, then switch off within 5 seconds and remove key.

3) Within 30 seconds of removing key, press and hold the lock button.

4) While holding the lock button press and release the unlock button 3 times within 10 seconds. Then release both buttons.
^
^
^
^
^
^
Nothing happens :ben: !

p.s. I love your sig pic wjjeeper!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm pretty sure you don't have to hold the unlock button. Just push it once and immeditately push the lock button three times.
I'll check this afternoon.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is a repost: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=137365&highlight=key+program+hold

I just reprogrammed my keys two days ago with this method and it worked just fine.

-Close all doors and have all keys available.

-Using key number 1 (your key that doesn't need to be initialized), turn the ignition to switch to position 2, then switch off within 5 seconds and remove the first key.

-Within 30 seconds of turning the ignition switch to "off" Press and hold the arrow button.

-While holding the arrow button, press and release ("tap") the roundel button three times within 10 seconds.

-Release both buttons simultaneously. The doors will immediately lock and unlock signaling initialization.

-If additional keys need to be initialized, repeat steps 3-5 within 30 seconds.

-Then stick the key that has just been initialized into the ignition and turn to position 2. Programming is now complete!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wjjeeper said:
Good post t-dog. Very informative.
I don't have a "good" key anymore though because I lost it. All I have now is the spare. Interesting too, that write up says to do the opposite of the bently book. The book says to hold the roundel button and tap the arrow button instead. :dunno:

Still nothing BTW. Thanks for your help guys. I guess I need to go the dealer. :cry:

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
This is a repost: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=137365&highlight=key+program+hold

I just reprogrammed my keys two days ago with this method and it worked just fine.

-Close all doors and have all keys available.

-Using key number 1 (your key that doesn't need to be initialized), turn the ignition to switch to position 2, then switch off within 5 seconds and remove the first key.

-Within 30 seconds of turning the ignition switch to "off" Press and hold the arrow button.

-While holding the arrow button, press and release ("tap") the roundel button three times within 10 seconds.

-Release both buttons simultaneously. The doors will immediately lock and unlock signaling initialization.

-If additional keys need to be initialized, repeat steps 3-5 within 30 seconds.

-Then stick the key that has just been initialized into the ignition and turn to position 2. Programming is now complete!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1995257

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
If you have an early e46 key fob, they have replaceable batteries. They will not be charged by the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts