E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All:

So new week, new problem :p

My set of keys to my e46 died (or so I think) usually I put the key into the ignition and the car doesn't start whatsoever. So most of the time I sit in my car turning the key on and off for anywhere from 3 turns to 5-10min. The car always eventually starts but as you can imagine sitting 5 min. in a car can become a nuisance. From what I've read this is most likely an issue with the battery but it could be a problem with the programming of the key itself.

Unfortunately, locksmiths can't program these type so off to the stealership I went. They gave an estimate of $300 bucks for the key and, well, knowing them a full month of labor (I know some dealers do the key for about $200 but none are conveniently located). A valet key cost $100 but considering this is a daily that wouldn't work.

So short story long I need a key and I am unwilling to pay 1/4 of the cars price for a key. Now it's not because I don't have the money I fully understood getting a BMW wasn't going to be economical but 300 bucks is a lot of money for a key.

So I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to go about this.

The car is either in the garage at home or at a garage at work so security isn't the utmost of importance (plus it's a manual in the US) so I was thinking of installing a keyless entry kit and wanted to hear what the e46 world has to say about that and if there are any trusted dyi on how to go about this (there are tons for push to start but not many with keyless push to start)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
24 Posts
My in-law had a spare key done through eEuroparts.com. It was around $160 or so.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts