E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I was getting in to my 2003 330i I put my key in the door and I turned twice to unlock and all my doors unlocked but my driver door... And I tried to lock it from the door too but the key hole is extremely lose and it won't lock or unlock anything! I had a friend get In my car lock it all and I tried and it won't unlock or lock anything from the key hole so basicly the main command from the door does not work but I can unlock and lock everything from my button inside.. And I don't have a key fob with a batterie in it because my other set of keys got stolen so I can't just button open it lol... Please help me I can't lock my car anywhere now... And pleas help me find away to fix this with out having to break my bank :/ poor college firefighter student can't afford it :/ thank you a for you future help. Also if I get in the car the main lock and unlock bottom locks and unlocks all doors :/ so I guess it's the handle mech.

·
Premium Member
7,607 Posts
Seems like the actuator is gone. The keyhole slides into the actuator so it's not like a pin got loose, but the internals of the actuator are broken. You can DIY replace it, but a new one does cost a bit. Different part numbers for left/right side and manufacturing year, so make sure you get the correct part if you're going for a used part.

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
I am not sure your problem is your actual door lock actuator??

There is a link on the back of the door lock cylinder that is designed to be weak and will break easily. It is a theft deterrent item. These links are not available from BMW, you have to purchase the entire lock cylinder for a lot of money.

You can easily remove the drivers lock cylinder and check for this broken link.

Search the forum here for more info on this issue.

You either need to hit a junkyard or buy one on ebay -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E46-DOO...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f14f3f131&vxp=mtr

In the meantime, suggest you also purchase a new key, $160 from here -

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=900559&highlight=key+160

BMW 102 - Never have only 1 key for your BMW and you need at least 1 working keyfob!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I give ya a better idea what is going on, when I put me key in and turn it left or to the right I can't open the door from the outside, it's loose when I turn it both left and right it and it feels the key is just in a hole really and nothing is grabbing how it should to turn the mech

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
Pull the lock cylinder, I bet you lock to actuator link is broken.

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
I give ya a better idea what is going on, when I put me key in and turn it left or to the right I can't open the door from the outside, it's loose when I turn it both left and right it and it feels the key is just in a hole really and nothing is grabbing how it should to turn the mech
Go to the trunk and turn the lock, this will lock and unlock the doors.

You said the button inside will lock and unlock the driver door -- put the window down and reach in to confirm this. If this method is able to operate the door lock in the driver door, then there is a broken linkage between the key and the lock mechanism -- the lock mechanism also operates by an electric solenoid, and you said that this works. Since the solenoid can be powered in both directions -- lock and unlock -- from the trunk, then as a work around you can use the trunk lock to lock and unlock your car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a DIY to change the linkage out? Also I been reading that it could be this plastic tab in there that is for anti-theft that breaks after time and age, it describes what my door key slot does when I put my key in its
Loose and rotates 180 degrees. Iono if that's the same part we are talking about tho?

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
Its not a plastic tab, it is a pot metal linkage that I gave you an ebay link for.

Search the forum, I believe it is very easy to remove the door lock cylinder, probably on 1 bolt as I recall?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Op, open your driver door. Lift the rubber flap in the door jamb and undo the hex bolt. Undo it all the way, insert your key and jiggle your lock cylinder out.

Go to your dealer with proper ID, order a new lock cylinder, reinstall it and be on your way.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App

·
Registered
368 Posts
They make a rebuild kit on eBay for the lock cylinders. I've rebuilt 2 of them and they are easy and way cheaper than a new one. There is also a chance you just popped out the plastic tab and need to pull out the cylinder and put it back in

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just to restart this post. I have the same problem, but the lock on the driver side door is not opening. So to enter the car I have to get in from the passenger side. Any help to solve this would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.