BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there !

For months everything has been great and I've been wondering what will go wrong next ;)

So now I cannot lock/unlock with the fob, I have to use the key. My spare fob which has sat in a drawer for a year works great, so it's a keyfob issue.

Why should my regular daily key suddenly fail, I'd dismantle it but AFAIK the battery usually does not cause issues.Do I have to reprogram both keys together or this one only ?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,445 Posts
Battery likely went bad or something bad inside the key.
Any/all remotes must be in hand at the same time when synching keys.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's helpful, thanks. So unless I know what's wrong with this key there's no point in syncing it. I just continue using the 'sat in the drawer for a year key' for now.

I heard that the batteries seldom give any problem on these remotes.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I also have a dead (battery?) key that I use as spare, can open (not remotely) physically at the door and start car. I don't bother to resolve (change battery...) as I don't want to unsync (as MrMcar mentioned) the working fob trying to fix/sync the spare.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rechargeble batteries in these fobs even being 20+ years old now don't tend to fail that often if the fob is used regularly so it gets regularly recharged. It's more likely some part of electronics went bad. To check if it's the battery cut the fob open and check the voltage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts