E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,694 Posts
Just to add to the above.

Your key has two completely separate functions:

1) A alarm style remote that communicates to the car via an antenna and the GM5 module. For locking/unlocking the car.
2) The key has a chip in it that is locked into your EWS. This is the anti-theft portion of the key. Without such, the car will not start, or even crank over for that matter.
A new chipped key can be married to your car, however this is a much more complicated procedure whereas you use programming style tools to marry the key/EWS.

Insofar as the lock/unlock; Any similar frequency key can be initialized once the key is inserted and the correct sequence of button pushing is done. This enables the key to open/close the car.
This will not/does not complete any "handshake" with the EWS.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fobs can be paired to whatever car you like.
So if i get into buddy's e46 I can insert a fob key and programmed it to his car. I can then gain entry into his car and steal his golf clubs when nobody's around☝

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
So if i get into buddy's e46 I can insert a fob key and programmed it to his car. I can then gain entry into his car and steal his golf clubs when nobody's around☝
To exemplify your point:
I have a spare diamond key here. Whenever we suspect a non functioning key (door lock/unlock) we can sync the spare key to the car as a "first step" towards diagnosis.
That key stays sync'ed to that car until we do such again to another car.
Kapish?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I thought about cross- programming all our keys so that any one key could open all 3 cars.

but then my head started to hurt, so I didn't.

t
life is too complicated already

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,735 Posts
I thought about cross- programming all our keys so that any one key could open all 3 cars.

t
Unless I'm mistaken pairing it with one car makes it forget that it was paired with whatever car it was previously paired with, so that wouldn't work.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts

t
Toby walks out of house toward cars to go to work. Hits the button on his key and viola' 3 cars unlock....
Hmmm... which car to drive today.
Now... how do I lock those other two? Manually??

·
Registered
2003 325i MT
67 Posts
umm reason why bmw didnt put a damn keyhole on the passenger side?
I'm sure it was a combination of saving money and a cleaner look. A lot of cars only have a keyhole for the drivers door and trunk only now. If you vehicle battery isn't powerful enough to unlock all doors, it isn't going to start.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Toby walks out of house toward cars to go to work. Hits the button on his key and viola' 3 cars unlock....
Hmmm... which car to drive today.
Now... how do I lock those other two? Manually??
See what I mean??? Brain implodes!

(secret answer- turns key to position 1, then hits lock button on key. Hopes signal is strong like bull)

t

Reactions: MrMCar
1 - 16 of 16 Posts