E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a bmw e46 compact 2002.
when I got the car I only received one key andI couldnt unlock the car with the key fob (remotely) so I changed the battery and it didn’t help. so I went the the dealership and got a brand new key. I programmed it correctly but it still didn’t help.
the central locking is working fine. I can unlock the car manually with the key in the door and I can unlock/lock using the button on the center console.
The radio works fine so I don’t think it’s the antenna.
Anyone know anything?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi! I have a bmw e46 compact 2002.
when I got the car I only received one key andI couldnt unlock the car with the key fob (remotely) so I changed the battery and it didn’t help. so I went the the dealership and got a brand new key. I programmed it correctly but it still didn’t help.
the central locking is working fine. I can unlock the car manually with the key in the door and I can unlock/lock using the button on the center console.
The radio works fine so I don’t think it’s the antenna.
Anyone know anything?
How do you know you programmed the remote on the new fob correctly?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you know you programmed the remote on the new fob correctly?

Well, I assume I did. I followed BMW’s instructions. And after that didn’t work I looked online for instructions and followed them.

I made sure all doors were closed, next I inserted the key into the ignition and turned it to the first position, then I took it out and pressed and held the unlock button and pressed the lock button three times with about 2 second intervals.
The lock should cycle between locked and unlocked but it didnt happen.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, I assume I did. I followed BMW’s instructions. And after that didn’t work I looked online for instructions and followed them.

I made sure all doors were closed, next I inserted the key into the ignition and turned it to the first position, then I took it out and pressed and held the unlock button and pressed the lock button three times with about 2 second intervals.
The lock should cycle between locked and unlocked but it didnt happen.
Turn ignition all the way to the on position. Release unlock after 3rd press of the lock button. If that still doesn't work, try pairing your remote on a different E46. If you can do it on a different vehicle but not yours there is some problem with the vehicle.

·
Registered
11,525 Posts
Your car has the antenna for the lock/unlock feature in the rear window or maybe the left rear side window. We didn’t get the compact in the US. There’s a radio frequency amplifier (434mhz) located in the left rear “C” pillar. The “C” pillar is the rear most sheet metal that connects the roof to the body. The amp is located behind the “C” interior trim piece. I’d carefully remove the trim piece, remove the connectors and clean the connectors. Then reattach the connectors.

This is what the amp looks like: RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
985 Posts
Different markets = different BMW specifications. Most E46's use the radio (434 MHz) system for the remote locking. Some markets use an infra-red system, which needs a slightly different pairing procedure.

If you have an old style (E36) 2 button key and a red clown nose on the bottom of your inside rear view mirror, then you have a IR system. Attached is the pairing procedure for the IR system.

Attachments

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,715 Posts
I would be willing to bet that there is a broken wire between the rear hatch door and the body. This the antenna does NOT see the commands from the key.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts