E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I bought this 12 year old e46 saloon a few months ago, and within a couple of months the key fob died on me. I tried replacing the fob battery but that didn't work, so I got a new key off the local bmw dealer (£140 whoop-whoop).
-From here on I'll refer to that one as "the new key" and to the other one as "the dead key" to make things clearer.-
However, that brand new key wouldn't start the car (it wouldn't event turn in the ignition) but it will lock the doors manually (while it's the other way around with the dead key: it starts the car, but it does not fit the door locks). Also, the patterns on the key are clearly different.
So, i guess in its 12 years of age, and many previous owners, the original key (matching my "new key") must have been lost/stolen/broken, and the owner of the car then must have bought a new key with a different cut, and the ignition barrel to go with it, but didn't bother changing the locks...

So the guy from bmw said he could always order me a new ignition thingy but that's another £80.

Another solution dawned on me and this is where I'd like some expertise: my father in law told me we could always try and set up the new key (like you find so many tutorials about online) while using the dead key in the ignition and playing with the buttons on the new key, and see if it works, so that way I can lock me car remotely rather than manually (so much more glamorous I know!)

But, and this is where it gets complicated:

the only worry I've got with that possibility, is that I know there is something still working in the dead key, (maybe the transponder???)

-- this is a boring explanation only read if really into the suspense and all that --

... as back when I tried fixing the dead key, a friend of mine wanted to check the circuit further in his lab (he worked at the local university as a physics researcher) as we couldn't get the key to work even with a new battery. So he said I'll give you the key part back and keep the circuit ti check it.m, but that didn't work: it turns out I could only start the car with the key fob as a whole, that is, including the dead circuit in it.

-- end of boring explanation --

So what if in setting up the new key to remotely work, it deactivate whatever still works in the dead key that allows me to start the car??

Any idea/advice?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but only when we had removed the electronic circuit from it. It's hard to remember now but I'm pretty sure we tested it and there's no electricity running through it, even though it has a new battery and everything, so it's dead but something in there is still active somehow.. Unless there's another explanation...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The old one or the new one? if you mean the new one, that's exactly what I want to do but what if that "kills" whatever allows me to start the car with the old key? Then I won't be able to start it unless I get a new barrel (for £80)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.