E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know for a fact whether kerosene could harm the stock sport wheels? I just went through my first winter with lots of salt on the road. I don't know if salt is the culprit, but I have lots of grimy, small black dots all over my front wheels. It doesn't look like tar since it wasn't splashed up on the wheel -- it is mostly on the inside of the rim.

I have tried Simple Green to no avail. Bug and Tar Remover only get rid of some of it, and then only after serious scrubbing.

Anyone had this problem? Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the same exact problem

I have this problem and need help with it too
I tried many things too and nothing works

I am supposed to take them to the dealer to see if its a defect in my rims or if they can fix them

I clean my car all the time and now after the winter its got the black dots all over the rims not to bad from a far but close up they look bad

its not tar it's from the brakes
then things cause so much mess but they do stop great

·
Registered
241 Posts
try thinner it will take the black pieces right off. That stuff is called cold patch. It's a tar based compound they use for filling holes in cold weather. I just got done taking that crap off my wheels they were loaded with that sh*t, I'm surprised my wheels didnt feel out of balance there was so much caked on the inside of the wheels. Thinner(or mineral spirits) took it right off, then warm soapy water to clean that all off.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks -- I'll try thinner

I was just hoping it was not some kind of heat-glazes compound from the brakes. My dealer said they get it themselves during the winter and use a mineral spirits-type cleaner.

Thanks for the help.

Hmmm...makes we wonder now if I have these little black buggers all over the place underneath the car!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts