E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
most of dynos provided by its own makers are :bs:
mine(63-1113) claims to be 9.7hp increase but i don't think it's nowhere near 9.7hp.
hopefully 5hp at max.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently tried the K&N on my stock M3 with an Eisenmann exhaust.

The first thing I noticed was it sounded throatier, especially in the midrange. The power seemed to be about the same. As the car warmed up, and I spent more time idling at stop lights, I started to notice some surging and rouger running. As the engine reached full temperature, and more time was spent at red lights, I started to feel as though I was actually DOWN on power.

None of my feeling about HP gains or losses were documented or dyno'd, but I do have to say that if there was a performance gain, it was outweighed by the drivability loss.

Needless to say, I returned it, and without too much duress, received my money back.

On a final note, when I took out the stock air cleaner I noticed how beatifully engineered it was, and that it draws air from the kidneys AND from the duct beside the fog light on the driver's side, creating a (subtle) ram air effect, one that no air cleaner drawing from around the engine compartment could match.

I've heard there are better systems (Gruppe M, Dinan) but they're not a great value, and without any other mods, will cost a lot for very little increase in performance. In the case of all BMWs, it would be logical to assume that the engineers there have looked at easiest ways to get power already, and that they've experimented with countless intakes and what we have in our cars from the factory is very well sorted already. :thumbup:

·
Registered
365 Posts
K&N's results are simple marketing tripe because horsepower pulls are performed with a cool engine compartment and a comparison with a non-moving M3 is bogus because it is in a closed environment. In typical driving conditions a stock M3 has a cool air ram air effect that I bet produces more horsepower then a K&N cone filter.
I would never buy a car that has run a K&N filter but that is another discussion.
George

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Porsche Club of America dyno-tested K&N filters in a variety of new Porsches in 2001 and found no power increase whatsoever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts