E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early this summer, I fitted a K&N cone filter directly onto my MAF tube as a replacement for the airbox altogether. It sounded awesome and ran great for a while, but then I installed an electric exhaust cutout and things fell apart.

In addition to a blow ignition coil (which I swear must have been coincidence), I started getting codes P0101 (MAF Circuit Out of Range) and P1015 (ICV Error).

After lots of tinkering, I still had the problem. Then I had an idea... "What if the higher volume of the airflow is causing the MAF to send the ECU a value that is out of range...?"

I immediately went to Advance Auto and bought a Purolator panel filter and reinstalled the factory airbox and BOOM. No problems. The effect of the muffler delete is lost now, but hey, my car drives.

So what do you guys think? Could it be an issue with the ECU not being able to handle the higher airflow? Or maybe the oil from the K&N filter is messing with the MAF? I really miss the sound and definitely want to go back to the cone style filter, but not at the risk of continuing MAF errors.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Early this summer, I fitted a K&N cone filter directly onto my MAF tube as a replacement for the airbox altogether. It sounded awesome and ran great for a while, but then I installed an electric exhaust cutout and things fell apart.

In addition to a blow ignition coil (which I swear must have been coincidence), I started getting codes P0101 (MAF Circuit Out of Range) and P1015 (ICV Error).

After lots of tinkering, I still had the problem. Then I had an idea... "What if the higher volume of the airflow is causing the MAF to send the ECU a value that is out of range...?"

I immediately went to Advance Auto and bought a Purolator panel filter and reinstalled the factory airbox and BOOM. No problems. The effect of the muffler delete is lost now, but hey, my car drives.

So what do you guys think? Could it be an issue with the ECU not being able to handle the higher airflow? Or maybe the oil from the K&N filter is messing with the MAF? I really miss the sound and definitely want to go back to the cone style filter, but not at the risk of continuing MAF errors.
Yes, the cone filters do this. If you go back to it, it will happen again. The sound is not worth coating your MAF in oil and degrading your fuel mileage and power. The system is designed very particularly for a certain amount of air flow, pressure, etc. If you modify that, you will throw everything off.

Honestly, cone filters are for teenagers with Hondas. Based on your signature photo, it looks like you have a pretty nice Touring. There's no reason to screw it up with distasteful, performance robbing modifications.

You should also spray the MAF with some MAF cleaner.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Based on your signature photo, it looks like you have a pretty nice Touring. There's no reason to screw it up with distasteful, performance robbing modifications.

You should also spray the MAF with some MAF cleaner.
Thanks for the kind words. The e-cutout sounds really good and is making me want to do a full-blown muffler delete. It's not super loud at low-revs and it makes a really nice sound. I'll definitely keep the stock airbox on then. I know that it'll never be a fast car, so I'm not trying to boost the performance. I just wanted it to sound a little nicer.

·
Registered
2006 325Ci M56 5MT
1,063 Posts
I have been running a AFE intake with a dry filter for about 5 years and probably like 50k miles, never had a issue with the MAF. Just clean it every 10-15k miles. Was your K&N filter oiled?

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,407 Posts
been running this setup over 7 years and prob 50k , oil once in spring, never an maf issue

i also clean maf every spring too so

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Yep, I've been running a long tube CAI with oiled cone filter.....never an issue.

Pull your codes....

Rob43

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Krap & Nasty are junk. Better filters available that actually filter, don't need oil, look better, better built, flow more air and cost less.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Krap & Nasty are junk. Better filters available that actually filter, don't need oil, look better, better built, flow more air and cost less.
Do you have one that you recommend? I don't know much about cone filters.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Same thing happened to me.
It ran good for a month then I moved it to the wheel well and that's when started having codes, if I did a hard pull it would go to limp mode.
Put the stock box and all my problems went away.
I think the MS45 ECU is too smart and don't like cheap intakes.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
M3
2,585 Posts
the problem is probably a fact that the filter is connected directly to the MAF. all CAI systems i've seen come with a new upper boot or utilize the stock one.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
the problem is probably a fact that the filter is connected directly to the MAF. all CAI systems i've seen come with a new upper boot or utilize the stock one.
I think that this is exactly the OP's problem. I doubt K&N, as much as I think their stuff is all crap, would sell an intake kit that would trigger a code. They're a reputable company, as far as I know.

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,407 Posts
there is no upper boot , the plastic tube connects to lower boot, then there is a rubber sleeve , plastic encased maf and filter on that , they all connect to the maf

1 - 18 of 18 Posts