E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many articles online about how some people think K&N air filters have a knack for killing the MAF in our cars. Some even have gone as far as to call them "Krap & Nasty". Today on youtube I stumbled across the K&N youtube channel and discovered an entire series of videos on their filters and how they affect MAF sensors. What do you guys think? Is there some truth behind the K&N filters killing out MAF sensors, or is it just coincidence?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjwBiPm2W5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SPd10AswCo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrU-sXkN4UY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml8OIrMBfKU

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
There is some truth to it. It's apparently pretty easy to overoil the filters, so it ends up coating the MAF.

However, the main reason they're often referred to as "krap&nasty" is because they're poor filters. The only way to increase airflow is to have a physically larger filter, or to have a filter that allow more stuff to pass through. The K&N drop-in filters must let more particles to pass through since they are the same size as the stock paper filters. This means more contaminants make it to your engine. Whether or not the wear increase is significant, I don't know. However, the performance difference is not significant. Our cars aren't really limited by their intakes

·
Registered
562 Posts
Or if anyone is fearing damaging their MAF, just use OEM filters. Simple.

·
Banned
7,549 Posts
If people can't follow instructions properly, save the hassle and buy a new cone filter.

All this over a MAF sensor, which can be had for free at local you-pick junkyards.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
+1 for Terraphantom's comments. K&N's gauze material not only passes more dirt then paper elements, they're marketing magic they can't deliver.

I've had a love/hate with K&N products over the years and am disappointed how they blatantly lie with marketing materials. It's true some cars (not ours) respond well to CAI's and intake flow tweaks. K&N's work great with carburetor applications where increasing flow allows you to raise the main jet size. This is great for off-road and racing applications where sucking dirt is not a problem when you tear your engine down frequently. In street applications with our cars anyway, you won't see a butt dyno bonus with drop-ins or CAI gizmos. You just increase noise and dirt. BMW made a dandy efficient intake for us. The mod may be sound candy but pretty much ends there. If you believe the colorful Dyno Diagrams K&N claims, be advised it's not factual for most cars. They have been beaten up by MAS failure claims so they launch an anti-MAS failure campaign to bolster sales. Fact or myth? Who really can say, more then a few dozen owners have certainly experienced failure.

Paper is our friend.

·
Registered
2004 330i
7,404 Posts
im in the market for a new cone filter, what you guys with intakes running if not k&n

·
Registered
944 Posts
Been running K&N for 3 years in my BMW, 2 years in my ATV, 8 years in my pick up, and 6 years in my street bike. No problems in any of my machines.:p

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I understand the concern over silicone traces entering the engine but I've yet to see any evidence that this is significantly detrimental.
Krap & Nasty let in more than 'traces'. Ever read a UOA form an engine with one? I have and you can easily pick a Krap & Nasty equipeed engine from the high SI levels. Pretty dumb when you can get filters that actually filter, look better, better built, no ol to screw the MAF, and are cheaper!!

·
Banned
7,549 Posts
Krap & Nasty let in more than 'traces'. Ever read a UOA form an engine with one? I have and you can easily pick a Krap & Nasty equipeed engine from the high SI levels. Pretty dumb when you can get filters that actually filter, look better, better built, no ol to screw the MAF, and are cheaper!!
No I haven't read these results. I'd be interested to if you could point some out.

Do you know what secondary effects these high silicone levels have?

·
Registered
944 Posts
So show us the UOA results to prove this. So far it's just speculation on your part.
Speculation????

I don't need any study to prove the FACT that I have ZERO problems using a K&N in any of my vehicles........What is SPECULATION of that......that is FACT.

I never said that one was better than the other or that I even get more HP out of one or the other. I'm just stating the FACT that I don't have a single problem due to the use of a K&N filter. Maybe I just know how to use one and not over oil the crap out of them, attested to the number of years I have been running them.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
There is some truth to it. It's apparently pretty easy to overoil the filters, so it ends up coating the MAF.

However, the main reason they're often referred to as "krap&nasty" is because they're poor filters. The only way to increase airflow is to have a physically larger filter, or to have a filter that allow more stuff to pass through. The K&N drop-in filters must let more particles to pass through since they are the same size as the stock paper filters. This means more contaminants make it to your engine. Whether or not the wear increase is significant, I don't know. However, the performance difference is not significant. Our cars aren't really limited by their intakes
Completely agree!

I used k&n before and it noticeably made the engine dirty. No more that sh$t!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts