E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i called the bmw service deptartment at my dealer yesterday to get a price quote on a air filter. i asked about installing a K&N filter and they remarked that they eventually break the mass air flow sensor. he said its because the filter is wrapped in oil which builds up and gets sucked in. this in turn breaks the mass air flow sensor which wouldn't be covered under warranty because of a non-bmw-approved part was used which causesd the fault? anyone else hear about this? what about if you have the "bmw approved" dinan cold air intake? that uses a oil soaked filter very similar if not the same thing as a K&N? whats your take? :hmm:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Your right, Dinan CAI uses a K&N filter! But since it can be added as a dealer installed item, they will probably forgive MAF problems in that case, just not non-Dinan stuff.

If it's over oiled, it can and will affect you MAF. It happened to my F150 after my first cleaning and re-oiling. I just removed the MAF and cleaned it, and it was fine. (Not sure if the E46 is that easy to fix and clean???)

After the experience with my F150 with K&N, I decided to avoid using them. They seem to allow too much silicate (dirt) particles in my truck, and the performance/mileage gain was negligible.

Some people swear by them, but I'm just speaking about my own experience.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
don't use one on the M, but have used them over the years on Off-road Toyotas and I learned to let the filter sit for several days to "Bleed" the excess oil off the vanes before reinstalling it.
of course that was after the first time I gummed up the MAF!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Cowboy Bebop said:
don't use one on the M, but have used them over the years on Off-road Toyotas and I learned to let the filter sit for several days to "Bleed" the excess oil off the vanes before reinstalling it.
of course that was after the first time I gummed up the MAF!
my trick is to use one of those portable fans on high or a hair dryer with heat OFF to blow excess oil, if any, through and away before putting it back on the car..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts