BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,028 Posts
Pulling those connectors off of the Bus termination bar is fun, right?(not)

Our first step in diagnosing any Bus is usually: Hit the bus with a scanner. No Coms?
Open the diagram find all the modules on that Bus.
Pull one off, scan again. Still no Coms? Pull the next one. Repeat until the scan tool establishes communication. The last one that held back the coms is pulling the Bus down.

We had a couple where the above yielded no fruit. Turned out to be a grounded wire or aftermarket installed device pulling it down.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I feel like Overboost deserves a chicken dinner.
Indeed.

Relatedly, it still mystifies me how electronics with no moving parts can just go belly-up like that. I have the same complaint about wireless routers. I've been through like 5 of them. What goes wrong internally that makes them just decide to stop working one day? Other electronic items last decades without any problems. Weird.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
HooBoy-

Well, there are all of these tiny conductors and not- conductors... and it's all doped silicon,
and they're made by something like really advanced silkscreening...

Instead of moving parts, think of it as VERY tiny conductors and VERY thin insulation layers,
and eventually, something starts to leak where it shouldn't.
Maybe the best analogy is the heater hose where it goes into the head?
Imagine a hundred million of THOSE, and they're all running at different temperatures
and different thermal cycles and made of various plastics... oh, and they don't
like overpressure nor overtemperature...

t
not the explainerator tonight

21 - 25 of 25 Posts