BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 330i didn't need a new battery: my E30 did. But my E46 had some crappy, small AAA battery in it so I decided to get a brand new Autozone 49-DL for my E46 and put the AAA battery from the E46 into the E30 which worked like a charm.

The 49DL fit AB-SO-LUTE-LY perfectly 100% The little red flap doesnt smush down all the way over the + terminal but it still does its job at protecting the terminal. Perhaps I could reroute the power wire another way but too lazy. The clamp holds the battery down perfectly and the supplied vent tube hosing works 100% perfectly. I paid about $94+ tax for it. I have seen some posts saying the battery is too short, doesnt fit bla bla bla bla. BS. It works perfectly. Don't go into Autozone and ASK for a battery for your E46 or they will give you whats on their machine which is a 94R DLG which is $150. The 49-DL works like a charm. I've also used it on my E39 and my E36 M3 in the past with flying colors. :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
might be a dumb question but will it fit a sedan and a coupe? i need a new battery for my 325i...also is this the best battery to get? i always see stuff on it

·
Banned
6,697 Posts
might be a dumb question but will it fit a sedan and a coupe? i need a new battery for my 325i...also is this the best battery to get? i always see stuff on it
I've had one in my 330i for about 4 years now. It's still running strong. Make sure you request it by the battery model (49-DL). It will not show up on their computers when they input your e46, it shows another model that's quite a bit more.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
This is what I eventually ended up getting:

EXIDE 94r-8 Platinum 8

875CCA
8y-limited manu/3y-full manu/64months-in store no questions
$129 - $5 for core
no fit issues and a direct oem replacement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEF2_hjO884

For me Warranty was way more IMPORTANT than CCA stats when choosing a battery.
The EXIDE 94r-8 gives the best warranty I ever seen for a battery. It also includes Free 3 Year Roadside Assistance and Jump Starting Service.

More important than that I like my batteries like I like my coffee...milky white. :p

Even the OEM Breather Valve and Red Positive Terminal Protection Cap directly swaps over to the new Exide 8 battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,
Sorry to beat a dead horse, I see the 49-DL is a solid battery replacement choice for the sedans and coupes, how about the wagons? 2000 323i wagon
thanks in advance, I'm at the mercy of my wife until I get the battery

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I think you'll find the 49DL works fine in every model, with the possible exception of verts, as they have a different setup, due to chassis flex, if I recall correctly.

On the 49DL, in my 325i sedan, the plate on top of the battery wouldn't reach the battery to hold it snug, so I bought a plastic chopping board at the dollar store and cut out a piece to put between the plate and battery. Another option is to use a scrap piece of plywood.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think you'll find the 49DL works fine in every model, with the possible exception of verts, as they have a different setup, due to chassis flex, if I recall correctly.

On the 49DL, in my 325i sedan, the plate on top of the battery wouldn't reach the battery to hold it snug, so I bought a plastic chopping board at the dollar store and cut out a piece to put between the plate and battery. Another option is to use a scrap piece of plywood.
Stop into Home Depot or the equivalent and get a couple of short or long wooden paint stir sticks. Then cut, break, stack, etc. as needed between the top of the battery and the bottom of the mounting clamp plate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts