BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SBBMotorwerks
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, just finished painting my engine pieces...I used a high temp metallic aluminum paint, and it turned out great!! Let me know what you think. It makes all the pieces i painted look like metal!!!!

Attachments

·
SBBMotorwerks
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about that, but i like the black stripes there....if i would have painted between it would have almost hidden the BMW logo completely

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,348 Posts
Nice, good job keeping the black it wouldn't look good with that painted too :thumbup:

·
SBBMotorwerks
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It took me a little more than an hour from start to finish.....the paint i used dries amazingly fast!!! I was able to do my calipers as well!

·
Mod Squad
12,628 Posts
That's it?? Can you give a few more details like what brand paint did you have to prime the covers before painting, or any other kinda prep work? Also would doing this be idoit proof, 'cause if there's a way to screw things up, I'll find it:sad:

·
SBBMotorwerks
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had a bit of experience painting...I painted my headlight trim and fog light trim using the same paint.
For the engine, all i did was clean the pieces really well. First with soap and water, second with mineral spirits and then again with soap and water.
I let everything dry, and i taped of the stripes on the valve covers.
Then i applied to coats of paint and let it dry.
Thats all.
I used Rustoleum High Temp Aluminum Metallic paint. Like i said, i have had experience with this paint, and it is really easy to work with, just make sure you put on light coats....putting on a heavy coat will cause the paint to look dull.
All in all, it took me about an hour and a half.
Plus I had enough paint left over to paint my calipers!!!

·
SBBMotorwerks
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah, the only way you can screw things up is to scratch the pieces when you are trying to put them back in and putting on a coat of paint too thick

·
SBBMotorwerks
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Vinny....believe it or not, that was my first attempt at photo editing....i need to make it a bit smaller though

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,174 Posts
thais0n said:
Thanks Vinny....believe it or not, that was my first attempt at photo editing....i need to make it a bit smaller though
Really? I need to learn how to do that! That's a really cool pic.
Was it hard to do?

·
SBBMotorwerks
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took two pics of the car, one with the hood open and one with it closed.....took the pic of the closed hood, made it semi-transparent and put it on top of the other pic

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,846 Posts
very creative sig :D :thumbup:

·
SBBMotorwerks
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks...this photo editing stuff is so addicitive!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts