E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Go Lakers!!!
Joined
·
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an iPod for a few months and just today, I hooked it up to my Bimmer. I got the module as a B-Day gift and today my buddy helped me hook it up. It's cool because the iPod is wired into the Center Slide Tray and is removable. I control everything on the iPod manually instead of having the iPod in the Glove Compartment.

It works GREAT...I LOVE IT and highly recommend it to everyone!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,544 Posts
D_Ultim8 said:
I have had an iPod for a few months and just today, I hooked it up to my Bimmer. I got the module as a B-Day gift and today my buddy helped me hook it up. It's cool because the iPod is wired into the Center Slide Tray and is removable. I control everything on the iPod manually instead of having the iPod in the Glove Compartment.

It works GREAT...I LOVE IT and highly recommend it to everyone!!!
I just iPODed mine the BMW legit way. Don't you find it hard to fumble with the iPOD while driving? I must admit there are glitches that are annoying about the BMW iPOD setup, but it seems to work well for me afer a bit of getting used to.
 

·
Go Lakers!!!
Joined
·
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gucki83 said:
I just iPODed mine the BMW legit way. Don't you find it hard to fumble with the iPOD while driving? I must admit there are glitches that are annoying about the BMW iPOD setup, but it seems to work well for me afer a bit of getting used to.
The only time I'd be fumbling the iPod while driving would be if I put baby oil all over my fingers. :lmao:

I find my setup 1,000% better than the BMW "legit" setup. It just doesn't make sense to me how BMW set it up...you'd have to pull over to the side of the road just to change the music (since it is buried in the glove box). My way, you just switch music as you wait at a red light, or when there is no traffic directly in front of you!Soooooo much better!!:woot:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
i have my ipod routed to my euro tray with the aux input harness and i love it. the bmw apple interface would have been nice but not worth the extra money imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
What module are you talking about?

D_Ultim8 said:
I have had an iPod for a few months and just today, I hooked it up to my Bimmer. I got the module as a B-Day gift and today my buddy helped me hook it up. It's cool because the iPod is wired into the Center Slide Tray and is removable. I control everything on the iPod manually instead of having the iPod in the Glove Compartment.

It works GREAT...I LOVE IT and highly recommend it to everyone!!!
I have an '01 325i and do not have the iPod hookups that they put in the the '02 up models. What module are you talking about is this an aftermarket hookup ? If so this is the first I've heard of it and would be interested In more info. Thanks.
 

·
(oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)
Joined
·
2,281 Posts
D_Ultim8 said:
I have had an iPod for a few months and just today, I hooked it up to my Bimmer. I got the module as a B-Day gift and today my buddy helped me hook it up. It's cool because the iPod is wired into the Center Slide Tray and is removable. I control everything on the iPod manually instead of having the iPod in the Glove Compartment.

It works GREAT...I LOVE IT and highly recommend it to everyone!!!
Post a DIY instructions to show the center slide tray in oppose to the glove compartment installation. Also Post some pictures!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
Smaug said:
I have an '01 325i and do not have the iPod hookups that they put in the the '02 up models. What module are you talking about is this an aftermarket hookup ? If so this is the first I've heard of it and would be interested In more info. Thanks.
I'm not sure what he is talking about, but the ICELink is compatible with your car. You will find a lot of information about it in the mobile electronics forum (where this post belongs) The ICELink gives you the best options of all the ones that are out there, and will soon include ID3 info displayed on your head unit!

D_Ultim8, what module are you referring to?

-Jer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Just an FYI. Apline just realeased the ipod to AiNet interface for their headunits. You can control the IPOD with the Alpine headunit-browse files, search, etc. Keep the ipod in the trunk. The head unit displays all the ID3, you can create playlists etc. It also charges the ipod.

89 bucks. Of course you need an Alpine headunit.

I found the BMW integration far from seamless. Its a kludge. No ID3, you have TR 1/7034.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
D_Ultim8 said:
It's cool because the iPod is wired into the Center Slide Tray and is removable. I control everything on the iPod manually instead of having the iPod in the Glove Compartment.
man.. why didn't I think of that?? I just got my car ipod-ed too over the last weekend. They installed the wire into the glove compartment and it's kind of annoying :thumbdwn:
 

·
Go Lakers!!!
Joined
·
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Smaug said:
I have an '01 325i and do not have the iPod hookups that they put in the the '02 up models. What module are you talking about is this an aftermarket hookup ? If so this is the first I've heard of it and would be interested In more info. Thanks.
The module is called the Blitz Safe Module (they sell it on eBay). I hooked it up to the CD changer unit in the trunk and wired it to the front. The whole process took about 1 hour. Since I don't have the rear fold-down seats, I had to remove the back seat(which took a little bit longer). It was very easy to do. I don't have any pics of what it looks like yet...my digital camera doesn't work, and I gotta buy a new one soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
D_Ultim8 said:
The module is called the Blitz Safe Module (they sell it on eBay). I hooked it up to the CD changer unit in the trunk and wired it to the front. The whole process took about 1 hour. Since I don't have the rear fold-down seats, I had to remove the back seat(which took a little bit longer). It was very easy to do. I don't have any pics of what it looks like yet...my digital camera doesn't work, and I gotta buy a new one soon.
does it charge the ipod at the same time like the ice>link?
 

·
Go Lakers!!!
Joined
·
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bszabo02 said:
does it charge the ipod at the same time like the ice>link?
No it doesn't. It plugs into the headset jack. I have a cigarette lighter adapter if I need to charge it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
D_Ultim8 said:
No it doesn't. It plugs into the headset jack. I have a cigarette lighter adapter if I need to charge it.
No offense, obviously it works for you and you are happy with it, so there is nothing wrong with that. But you have nowhere near the integration, quality, control, and convenience of the ICE>Link. You are one step above my iTrip, in that you are directly connected, but you are still using an analog link through the headphone jack, instead of a direct line output through the dock connector.

-Jer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,207 Posts
the ipod from BMW is great imo. You can control the songs through the steering wheel controls or headunit control, no need to bend over to get the ipod out of the glove compartment and change the songs. You dont need to look at the ipod while driving to choose the song. Also, to set up a playlist, you can set folders up for your songs the begins with BMW1-5, that should be enough folders to seperate the songs. If you still want easy access to get the ipod out, you can get an extension wire and wire it up to the euro tray. And it also charges the ipod.

This is far better than any other integrated ipod adapters, but the only downfall is that there is no ID3.

Edwin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
eBean said:
the ipod from BMW ....... If you still want easy access to get the ipod out, you can get an extension wire and wire it up to the euro tray. And it also charges the ipod.

This is far better than any other integrated ipod adapters, but the only downfall is that there is no ID3.

Edwin

Actually, that is not true. As far as I know, the controls on the ipod are locked out when it is connected to the ipodmyBMW connector, so you can not control it directly, you can ONLY control it through the head unit and steering wheel. (please correct me if I am wrong, I don't want to spread false info)

The ICE>Link is a better option because it allows everything the ipodmyBMW module does PLUS direct control of the ipod when desired, as well as soon to be released ID3 info display on the head unit or nav screen.

-Jer
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
840 Posts
Griptruk said:
Actually, that is not true. As far as I know, the controls on the ipod are locked out when it is connected to the ipodmyBMW connector, so you can not control it directly, you can ONLY control it through the head unit and steering wheel. (please correct me if I am wrong, I don't want to spread false info)

The ICE>Link is a better option because it allows everything the ipodmyBMW module does PLUS direct control of the ipod when desired, as well as soon to be released ID3 info display on the head unit or nav screen.

-Jer
You are correct. For the simple feature of having 5 playlists on the Head Unit, you lock out all of the controls the Apple put into the iPod.

Theoretically on a 40G iPod, this is equivalent to having 5 CDs with 2000 songs that you have to navigate through blindly. The 6th playlist will play the entire iPod - which is a pain if you want to listen to a Rolling Stones or U2 song and have to scroll through 8000+ songs to get to it.

Some people are perfectly happy with the BMW kit. In my opinion, locking out all of the features Apple programmed into the iPod just to have 5 playlists on the dash is too much to give up for a small convenience.
 

·
Go Lakers!!!
Joined
·
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Originally posted by DensionUSA...Some people are perfectly happy with the BMW kit. In my opinion, locking out all of the features Apple programmed into the iPod just to have 5 playlists on the dash is too much to give up for a small convenience.
:werd:
I like my setup a lot better. I have the freedom to scroll through all 800 or so songs that I have in my iPod. With the BMW setup, you can't do that unless you take the iPod out of the glove box which is a hassle. To each his own, I guess!
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top