BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just installed the UUC SSK EVO. All I can say is that it is one sweet mod. The shifts are so much shorted and alot notchier. It feels pretty hardcore if you're into that. The install seemed pretty easy except for the one stupid clip that holds the carrier arm to the frame. That was a bia*ch to remove and actually it was a pain in the A** when trying to put the carrier arm back in too because the ERK made it IMPOSSIBLE to get the carrier arm back in place after changing the stock rubber bushings to the Derlin ones. In the end I ended up putting the ERK in while the carrier was installed. I have some questions though.

1- I did not use any locktite to hold the allen screws in place. does anyone know if this will be a problem.
2- When I put the ERK onto the carrier there's some space between the ERK and the carrier. Is this normal?
3- I also noticed that there seems to be a little more road noise when I 'm driving. could this be due to the harder derlin bushings compared to the stock rubber ones?
4- My stock shifter has a crack in the ball. Would this cause me to have difficulties trying to get the car into gear?

·
Banned
99 Posts
Just installed mine this weekend. Definitely a mod everybody with a manual should get. Shifts are definitely shorter and quicker. Install was a little bit of a pain because of the exhaust in the way underneath the car but took about 1.5 hours. Not a bad install for a superb product...

·
Obey my dog
2,643 Posts
Originally posted by als00328ci 1- I did not use any locktite to hold the allen screws in place. does anyone know if this will be a problem.
I think you will probably be okay on this one

2- When I put the ERK onto the carrier there's some space between the ERK and the carrier. Is this normal?
Do you mean how it is at an angle? Yes, that is normal.

3- I also noticed that there seems to be a little more road noise when I 'm driving. could this be due to the harder derlin bushings compared to the stock rubber ones?
Hmm, odd. i didn't notice any additional road noise with mine.

4- My stock shifter has a crack in the ball. Would this cause me to have difficulties trying to get the car into gear?
No idea :) sounds like it couldn't have been helping any though hehe.

·
Registered
113 Posts
why are shifts meant to be notchier? what is notchier btw? I have it too and like if i shift into first its not smooth but if i bring it to 2nd and then go back to 1st it'll be smooth. Imagine this while the car is idle

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Just installed UUC SSK

Thanks for the help. I was a bit worried about the angle of the ERK. I was expecting it to sit flush on the carrier arm. The road noise is kind of a wind noise. Maybe I did not put the rubber boot back on properly. I guess I can check that again. But all in all I love this mod.

WarSong said:

I think you will probably be okay on this one

Do you mean how it is at an angle? Yes, that is normal.

Hmm, odd. i didn't notice any additional road noise with mine.

No idea :) sounds like it couldn't have been helping any though hehe.

·
Big in Japan
1,373 Posts
i STRONGLY suggest loctite on those bolts; I had a few fall out back when I had a UUC SSK. (The RE comes preassembled with a new carrier). In addition, they are rather small, so you cant just tighten the hell out of them, you will strip the threads or break the head off the bolt.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would i be able to simply put some loctite on the ends of the small allen bolts that are exposed inside the ERK or do I have to remove the bolts and put loctite on the threads because it's such a pain to get those bolts back it.

RichP said:
i STRONGLY suggest loctite on those bolts; I had a few fall out back when I had a UUC SSK. (The RE comes preassembled with a new carrier). In addition, they are rather small, so you cant just tighten the hell out of them, you will strip the threads or break the head off the bolt.

·
Big in Japan
1,373 Posts
Hmm..Im not sure, and dont remember how accessible it is; think you almost back them out all the way, then apply some, and the tighten them back in? Im not sure if it would "seep" into the contact places you need it.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sound like a good idea, i just hope it does not try to quick becuase tightening the screws back in is a little slow when doing it from inside the car.

RichP said:
Hmm..Im not sure, and dont remember how accessible it is; think you almost back them out all the way, then apply some, and the tighten them back in? Im not sure if it would "seep" into the contact places you need it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts