E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed ECIS intake on my 04 330CI. Car feels slower at low end, when i get close to 5k it starts to pull fast. Should I reset the ECU? Get a Dinan Chip? Thanks

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Ecis Cai

BMWERKEN said:
Your car may need a week or two to adjust to the new air ratio. Give it a little time to settle and change settings before making your final judgement :)
:werd:, give it a little time to make the needed adjustments and once it does you'll definately know :woot:

·
Registered
832 Posts
I would reset the ECU, then wait a couple days after hard driving to see the final results ... :)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I had a ECIS before... Make sure you didn't put the K&N filter too far onto the metal pipe, this will block lots of air. I did this on accident the first time I installed it, and I actually got a SES light, due to the restricted air flow.

And as the other poeple said, you need to drive around 150+ miles for the ECU to fully adapt to the increased airflow.

·
Rogue Engineering
2,291 Posts
I think Dinan software is finally out for the 04 by the way

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I reset the ECU, left the negative battery terminal unplugged overnight and when I started it up this morning i gave it some guess and there was TONS of hesitation and it died. Kept doing the same off and on. Havent had the chnace to drive it yet though. Is that normal for that to happy?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Could be....

^^^ Sounds like you might have screwed up your "MAF" during your install of the CAI. Got to be super gentle when affixing it to your heat shield and or inlet tube :yikes: Do a quick Search re: MAF sensor;signs of hesitation, stalling, loss of power :idea:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Penguin Koolaid said:
Try out the ECU reset thing (I assume you are talking about the 10 second key thing).
and that is what ??? tell me if you dont mind ? i cant figure out how to do it on my 325i

edit sorry for the thread hijack. let the car addapt to the new settings like everyones said

·
Registered
832 Posts
325 & 55 said:
^^^ Sounds like you might have screwed up your "MAF" during your install of the CAI. Got to be super gentle when affixing it to your heat shield and or inlet tube :yikes: Do a quick Search re: MAF sensor;signs of hesitation, stalling, loss of power :idea:
Yes, it does sound like a case of a faulty MAF ...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
///02bmw325i/// said:
and that is what ??? tell me if you dont mind ? i cant figure out how to do it on my 325i

edit sorry for the thread hijack. let the car addapt to the new settings like everyones said
So how do you do the 10 sec key thing? Please don't tell to search.

4,229 Posts
bad107 said:
I reset the ECU, left the negative battery terminal unplugged overnight ...
FYI - that does not reset the DME. The only way to really reset the DME is with the dealer's GT1 service computer.

If any mod you do requires adaptation, that will occur all by itself... just drive the car and let it happen.

- Rob

·
Banned
6,535 Posts
frenchym3 said:
So how do you do the 10 sec key thing? Please don't tell to search.
Place your key in the ignition and turn it to position 1 for exactly 10 seconds. Then turn the key back to the off position for exactly 10 seconds again. After the 10 seconds is up, immediately turn your car on.

If you mess up, you can't do it again for something like another 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
when i had my ecis installed, the power was instant. i didn't even reset the ecu either. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Penguin Koolaid said:
Place your key in the ignition and turn it to position 1 for exactly 10 seconds. Then turn the key back to the off position for exactly 10 seconds again. After the 10 seconds is up, immediately turn your car on.

If you mess up, you can't do it again for something like another 10-15 minutes.
That's the silly "throttle adaptation reset" procedure. That doesn't "reset" the computer. If there is adaptation going on then do as Rob stated, let it ADAPT.

To the guy asking, maybe you didn't get things on tightly enough and you've got a leak. Make sure your connections are nice and secure, don't overtighten as that can cause leaks as well.

TT

·
Banned
6,535 Posts
SST said:
That's the silly "throttle adaptation reset" procedure. That doesn't "reset" the computer. If there is adaptation going on then do as Rob stated, let it ADAPT.
Yea, I know... was merely throwing out an idea. Not sure why it's "silly" though.

Might as well let it adapt from ground zero with the intake on though.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Penguin Koolaid said:
Yea, I know... was merely throwing out an idea. Not sure why it's "silly" though.

Might as well let it adapt from ground zero with the intake on though.
Nothing personal. I wasn't saying that your comment was silly, just the procedure.
If you want to know why I think the "reset" is silly, it's because the throttle ADAPTATION does not need a reset. The reason is in the name.
If it's "adapting" then you do not need to reset it. Why?
Because it will ADAPT to your driving. :)

Fun with terminology.

TT

1 - 19 of 19 Posts