E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a set of oem clear corners and marker lights.

WOW

I have a black 323i, and what a difference it made.

My car looks “meaner” and I like it.

:D

I highly recommend this mode to anyone. It’s cheap and very nicely noticeable.

p.s. I put the clear bulbs from the original markers in the new clears, looks even better.

:thumbup:

·
is baaaaaaaaaack...
1,111 Posts
glad to hear you like them, just a warning though; running those clear bulbs in your clear corners are highly illegal. get some platinumvisions, do a search on the forum for them. they still light up amber but are completely invisible when not lit (no egg yolk). best part, they are DOT approved.:thumbup:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
only the side markers

i only used the clear bulbs in the side markers (on the front fenders)

these lights appear to be optional (a lot of other makes of cars don't even have them)

the actual turn signal light is amber.

do you think this is still "highly illegal"

:eek:

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,959 Posts
congtr. they should look good!!!!!!!!!!

i just installed the body color side markers behind my front wheels and i love them chanches the whole apperance of the car.
and that is a very cheap good mod...........
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Re: only the side markers

soul_assassin said:
i only used the clear bulbs in the side markers (on the front fenders)

these lights appear to be optional (a lot of other makes of cars don't even have them)

the actual turn signal light is amber.

do you think this is still "highly illegal"

:eek:
This may depend on your location, but in many states, it's perfectly legal to have white-illuminating corners and side markers---the thing that's illegal is not having amber reflectors at the front corners. This has nothing to do with the color of your lights.

On the other hand, I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed for this.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just did my clears this past weekend too

I Love the difference It definately makes the car look cleaner. now i just need my clear bumper reflectors.

Don't wast your money buying new Platinumvisions or Silvervisions @(40$) , go down to the parts store and buy some aluminum heat paint, Tape off your amber bulbs and LIGHTLY dust coat the surface of the amber bulbs until the aluminum color dominates and you can't see the amber anymore. It's okay if the amber shows through a little as this will make them shine a bit brighter. let them dry, take off the masking and put them back into the lenses. You wont be able to see the amber anymore and they'll still emit the proper light. This IS EXACTLY what Silvervisions are.

Looks tight and so far I have heard of many people successfully doing this, Including me.

BTW I cleaned off any oil and dirt on the bulbs before painting them with a solvent. I tried this on a sample clear bulb and I can't even scrape the paint off.

Cant miss, I'll try to post some pics.

·
www.piratecove.org
3,699 Posts
Re: Re: only the side markers

xmas63 said:

This may depend on your location, but in many states, it's perfectly legal to have white-illuminating corners and side markers---the thing that's illegal is not having amber reflectors at the front corners. This has nothing to do with the color of your lights.

2000 sedans didnt have reflectors and the sidemarkers are supposed to blink orange for DOT.

now that you have clears buy the right bulbs for them, www.powerbulbs.com

·
Registered
587 Posts
Re: Re: Re: only the side markers

CtrlAltDel said:

2000 sedans didnt have reflectors and the sidemarkers are supposed to blink orange for DOT.

now that you have clears buy the right bulbs for them, www.powerbulbs.com
They did have reflectors---they were built into the original corner lights. It's also a misconception that they need to blink orange for DOT. I can't speak for every state, but if you take a look at the law in your state, it may be perfectly OK for them to blink white. I know this is true in CT and CA, and I have heard this is true in other states as well. The legal issue is the fact that the clear corners do not have the built-in amber reflector.

·
is baaaaaaaaaack...
1,111 Posts
Re: Re: only the side markers

xmas63 said:

no. i know a guy who was rear ended on the highway, had clear indicators, and the guy who hit him said he didnt see the signal. when the cop checked the turn signals and saw that they blinked white, the dude who got rear ended was the one who got the ticket for the accident.

if your original bulbs blink amber then go for it, but for me personally, when i can be certain i am perfectly within the bounds of the law AND have the clear look i want for only $30 or so, i think its worth the measely $30, especially in comparison to how much our bimmers cost.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks

thanks for all the info.

i'm going to replace my oem clear bulbs in my "marker" lights with either:

1 - soul assassin custom, silver visions (amber bulb and spray paint) :lmao:

2 - silver visions, silver visions

either way i won't leave it as is

·
is baaaaaaaaaack...
1,111 Posts
dont do the first option, many have tried it, and they just dont light up enough to be visible during the day time. also, silver visions actually look mirrored like the rest of the housing, not painted. even better plus. i love mine. plus they come with some hyper white sidemarker bulbs if you are into those, which are legal.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Re: Re: Re: only the side markers

bookus11 said:

no. i know a guy who was rear ended on the highway, had clear indicators, and the guy who hit him said he didnt see the signal. when the cop checked the turn signals and saw that they blinked white, the dude who got rear ended was the one who got the ticket for the accident.
I should have been more specific---I was referring to the FRONT corners and sidemarkers when I said it was OK for them to illuminate white. The rear signal lights must be amber or red. Sorry for any confusion.

·
is baaaaaaaaaack...
1,111 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: only the side markers

xmas63 said:

I should have been more specific---I was referring to the FRONT corners and sidemarkers when I said it was OK for them to illuminate white. The rear signal lights must be amber or red. Sorry for any confusion.
gotcha. yeah, it varies from state to state on the white in front being legal or not, and as xmas said, completely illegal in the back. personally the whole two toned bulb thing to me looks ridiculous... hence, silvervisions are the best way to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts