BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there supposed to be a gap (big enough to fit a finger) between the trim and the car? I don't remember there being such a noticeable gap before with the factory chrome trim.

I was charged $278 for the install by Classic BMW, and not only did they scratch/chip the hell out of my paint, but they also did a sloppy job with the tape underneath the trim. So now, after noticing the gap, I'm wondering if they actually installed it correctly?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, I have the chrome trim on my sedan, and on the rear doors there is a 1 finger gap between the inside of the chrome trim and the actual painted door. Dont really like it either, but it came on the car. :dunno:

-Cyberhide

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
cyberhide said:
Well, I have the chrome trim on my sedan, and on the rear doors there is a 1 finger gap between the inside of the chrome trim and the actual painted door. Dont really like it either, but it came on the car. :dunno:

-Cyberhide
same here:dunno:

·
Registered
405 Posts
A friend I just installed the black trim on my coupe as well with no gaps. It looks pretty much like factory. you remove the old trim there is a "shadow" line left on the car. We just used that as a guide to place the new trim on. If you can post pics to show exactly what gaps you are talking about. Hopefully it's not something that can cause leaks.

·
Registered
921 Posts
djbacklash said:
I was charged $278 for the install by Classic BMW, and not only did they scratch/chip the hell out of my paint, but they also did a sloppy job with the tape underneath the trim.
That alone would have kept me from taking the car from them when they were done. I would have complained like no tomorrow. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I didn't notice the chips/scratches til I got home..they were in such a rush to get me out of there since it was New Years Eve and they were closing at 3 (I hate Classic..they call me at 2:00 to tell me the car is ready, and then they say "uhm well we close in an hour and aren't open tomorrow..can you get here in time?"). I'll post pics of the trim later to get some comparisons. I dunno..maybe it's supposed to look like that?

I am incredibly anal/picky however..and I noticed the tape beneath the trim on one side doesn't match up with the other side. You guys think I'm just being too picky or should I deal with it? I was a bit surprised by the $280 charge but I figured it would be better to let the trained "professionals" do it rather than risk me botching it up. I did, however, tell them not to install the bixenons I had ordered since they wanted an obscene $200 for the job!

·
Registered
921 Posts
post pics up. I'd like to see.

BTW, I would definately complain about their crappy work if I had paid that much to have stuff installed on my car. :confused:

I can only suggest that you dont go to Classic or John Roberts, they both have ****ty service/work from all info I have gathered.

I go to Moritz, and they've been nice to me seeing as how I didn't buy my car from them.. However I moved here from out of state. so who knows. :dunno:

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
Bottlerocket said:
Why on earth would you do this to your coupe??? The body color moldings and chrome trim make the car so sexy!!!!
cuz it looks sexier with the black trim :D take a look at an m3

·
OO[][]OO
528 Posts
------- now it will look CHEAP as on the M3's black molding ! :lmao:

ps: -------------- OK just got back from checking on my car ( with the nice CHROME moldings ;) ) ---- and the gap size on the lenght of the roof molding across the front windshield top corner to the rear windshield top corner it is exactly 3mm > --- < . Than going down at the front and on the rear it is getting tighter to exactly 1mm .

3C

------------------
330CiEVOSport
C280 Elegance
A6 Quattro

Attachments

·
Registered
855 Posts
how much is it for one.....hey djbacklash or rrbuggz is ur wondow trim matt black? u think its cheaper if i just get the window trim painted black?? is it that hard to take off the chrome trim??
what ius part #??

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
There should be a gap as it is functional to drain water. My cic hardtop had a gap that got bigger as it go tot the back of the car and my sedan has a slight gap in the rear.

·
Registered
405 Posts
how much is it for one.....hey djbacklash or rrbuggz is ur wondow trim matt black? u think its cheaper if i just get the window trim painted black?? is it that hard to take off the chrome trim??
THe one I have is flat black looks almost like a satin finish IMO) but there is also a glossy black version. All the trim (top and bottom) cam out to about $300 from CircleBMW. It's not hard to remove the top trim but removing the bottom pieces requires a heat gun as it is stuck on there with doublesided tape. Removing the bottom trim damages it so they are pretty much useless once you remove them, unless you are very very careful, which I find near impossible. So painting it will be kind of a headache as you will have to end up buying new bottom trim when you remove the old one. The top trim is held by screws and remains intact when removing. Here's a link to my trim installed:

http://www.bimmervibe.com/phorum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=718

·
Big in Japan
1,373 Posts
I did my car and helped buggz, and I say definitely just get new trim; for the price, and the amount of install time, its simply easier and provides better results getting the new stuff.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the stock chrome around the windows on my coupe... and I have a gap too... I think it's for water so that it doesn't go on the window when it rains... but on the sides arounds... The gap is biger on top (middle of the car) than in the fronnt or rear where there is almost no gap...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would have to aggree with the water-draining theory, as it seems to be functional as that. Im thinking about swapping my trim for mattte black, but need to find a good source for it (cheap).

-Cyberhide

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is the strip underneath the top trim pieces (extends from the very front just past the mirrors)? Is it double-sided tape? On one side, it goes all the way past the front edge of the trim, but on the other, it stops a few inches short. I think I'm going to b1tch and have them redo it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts