E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Drove into a pot hole on Linden Blvd in Brooklyn early today en route to taking my Mom to the clinic. We came out this afternoon and got in the car and drove off before my Mom said she heard a flapping sound and I realized the car had no acceleration power.

I assumed I had issues under the hood (my water pump and CCV are due to implode any day now) but come to find my rear tire was 90% flat with a 1/2 inch wide gash in the side wall but amazingly the rim was not exposed and was not touching the ground.

The front tire had numerous pock marks along the side wall and surface where the rubber was gouged out. It was leaking air but still fat enough that the rim was still surrounded by a thin cushion of rubber.

I attempted too remove the lugs on the rear tire to put the spare on but they are bolted on there super tight.

Anyway we just drove it the 5 miles or so to my Mom's house with no issues.

Incredible considering last year I got the same dual flats on my gfriend's 2010 C300 Benz and that car was literally disabled on the spot.

Funny thing is the tires on my car are all 10 year old Continental CV95s!

I guess I will be on Tire Rack ordering some ContiExtreme DWS!

·
Registered
355 Posts
How did you get your tires to last 10 years? Go drive your car :p

Also, proof that BMW > Mercedes. (flame suit)

My friends got a C240 the same year as my BMW and the things in the shop almost once a month for "routine maintenance".

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I blew out a tire in my last car going 60 on the highway and it went so well that I didn't know it was a flat tire. I only pulled over because I heard an odd banging sound, which turned out to be a huge nail sticking out of my tire that was screwing up my fender. :rofl:

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I actually got two flats while driving my dad's 535xi last night. I needed to pull over and swap the one tire for the donut though (instant flat for the front, slow leak for the rear). We had DWSs on that car, but they're back ordered everywhere. Bought some pilot sport a/s+s and just swapped out all 4. I must say, dry traction an steering response is *significantly* better with the michelins than with the contis. FWIW, we've generally had bad luck with continentals... Seems they have absurdly soft sidewalls or something.

·
Sienna Red Coupe
6,505 Posts
The car didn't pull hard to the right? Ten year old tires are pretty dangerous to be driving on, even if they have plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I actually got two flats while driving my dad's 535xi last night. I needed to pull over and swap the one tire for the donut though (instant flat for the front, slow leak for the rear). We had DWSs on that car, but they're back ordered everywhere. Bought some pilot sport a/s+s and just swapped out all 4. I must say, dry traction an steering response is *significantly* better with the michelins than with the contis. FWIW, we've generally had bad luck with continentals... Seems they have absurdly soft sidewalls or something.
Truth, no rigidity there at all.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
This is the beast I hit. I couldn't see it last night since the water level was up, and the rain/slush/darkness really didn't help. As you can see, the hole takes up about half the lane, so it's difficult to avoid when there's oncoming traffic (which there was at the time iirc).

That's a very recent pothole too. It wasn't there on Friday... At least it wasn't that big if it was there.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Is that lake Erie?! WOW.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts