BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first time got into an accident. I was at a parking lot and was waiting in line to turn. There were cars in front of and behind me and this stupid lady in her 40s started backing up slowly. At first, I thought she would stop but she did then I started to horn but she didn't hear it at all and kept going until she hit my front fender.

I was so mad at the time. She said she didn't see me. :ben: Then I just called 911. When the police got there, I asked her if we should settle it privately. She said she will file a report to her insurance company and maybe it wasn't her fault I just came out of no way and hit her. :banghead:

The police seems to stay on my side and asked me to call him if I need his report.

Now, I have a few questions. If I or she call the insurance company and report this accident, will it mess up my car's record meaning if someone requests information of my car from carfax, will it show the accident?

Do I have to report the accident to my insurance company immediately? Can I wait a day or so until I got the estimate from the body shop. If it only cost $500 - 600 to fix it maybe she will pay. I know the fender itself is like $200.

If she is 100% fault, will my insurance company increase my premium?

I wish she hit my bumper instead so that I have an excuse to get the mtech.

·
Registered
571 Posts
That sucks man. Your premium will not increase because it is not your fault. Nevertheless, you should call your insurance company and notify them that you're involved in an accident.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Having just gone through this 3 months ago, I have a few suggestions...

1) Do not call the insurance company right away.
2) Find out exactly what the police report says. If she is stated as being at fault, try to settle without getting the insurance companies involved.
3) Get an estimate from your bodyshop. Unfortunately, I think you will need a new fender. Don't forget to have the body shop add the loaner car fee into the estimate.
4) Send her the estimate and get the check before you have the repair done. If she refuses to pay, or says her brother can do it for less, call your insurance company and report it.

Try to get this taken care of as soon as possible in case you need to get your insurance company involved.

As far as carfax, I am pretty sure it will go in your car's record.

FYI, I recently got some price quotes from a few insurance companies, and I found out that they DO penalize you for Not-At-Fault accidents, so the less you report, the bettter.

Good luck!:thumbup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay...I will not call the insurance company tonight and see how much it costs to fix it. Hopefully she is willing to settle this privately so that my premium won't increase and this accident will not be reported.

Well at least it is not a major damage and I still be able to drive the car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to hear that on your 04 zhp. Can't imagine why people be so careless when driving.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What you should do?

1. Go to police get copy of the report (it's pablic record everybody can get it)
2. Call her insurance company tell them what happened (you going to have to fax that police report unless you want to wait for there lazy asses to get it )
3. Get an estimate for repairs in writing.
4.Wait and keep calling everyday until you get someone to look at your car.

Now since police was called there is going to be police report filled
and it will be in a carfax for sure (ask me how I know??)
since it was not your fault your insurance will not go up but they will want that police report too.
For carfax I would generate documentation (pictures, receipts , police report etc.) since potential buyer will see accident in carfax you can show him/her everything you have done to repair the car.
From the picture it's not a big deal and it should not depreciate value of your car.

Make sure you insist on alignment since it could be off.

Good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I should call her insurance instead of mine? And her insurance company will send someone to look at my car? This is totally new to me.

Do you think they will have the police report ready by tomorrow? I should call them tomorrow morning and find out.

·
Banned
4,041 Posts
From what i know, CARFAX ain't gonna show shit. I got into one accident that insurance covered, and now my car is TOTALED. And i looked it up on CARFAX, and nothing was shown. :D :D.

EDIT: Also, both of these situation, there were police reports taken. It still never showed up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Report is in tonight, you can get it in the morning. (thay have to file report at the end of the day)

Depends what insurance she has, most insurances hire independent appraisers ([email protected]#$%# are working for insurance company ) they will tray to protect there interest not yours.(I got screwed last time I had accident end up paying out of my packet to cover cost)
but then she could have Progressive or State Farm, Etna and they will cut you check sometimes on the spot

You are making claim against her insurance not yours unless you have to don't get them involved.
I hear all the good things about Towne BMW maybe you should get estimate there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
03BMW330 said:
Report is in tonight, you can get it in the morning. (thay have to file report at the end of the day)

You are making claim against her insurance not yours unless you have to don't get them involved.
I hear all the good things about Towne BMW maybe you should get estimate there.
I will just stop by the police station tomorrow to pick up the report. Thank god I have a day off tomorrow but it will be alot of work to do. Yes, towne's services are great.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got an estimate from my body shop for $1200 to fix it. Thank god I don't have to pay for it. There were are scratches on the rim and they are going to replace it and 4 wheel alignment is included. It will take a week for the repair.

I went to pick up the policy report this morning. There was nothing on the report. It just stated "exchanged prior". And I called her insurance company State Farm, they said they will have someone contact me within 48 hours.

I hope everything will go well and I will have my car fixed in a few weeks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
it's got to be description of the accident
what happened on the scene?

That's weird

Ask for explanation from officer on the scene or someone in office

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,499 Posts
When you buy a CPO from BMW, they give u a contract saying the car has never been in a "major wreck". We found out later that my old car HAD been in a wreck, but it has to be over 25% body damage for them to report it, maybe its the same for carfax...:dunno:

·
Registered
197 Posts
What crap!

Here's some real info that you can use.

First off, I don't give a damn what the police says at the time, get a police report. Most of them are too lazy to write one up. Days pass and he may not remember exactly the situation. Your insurance company will want one.

Next, YES you should contact your insurance company, even if you're not at fault. I don't know what idiot said not to do this. Let them know what happened. They'll want estimates as well. They'll want an adjustor to look at it, take pictures and etc.

After you get your estimates, give them to the lady who hit you and to your insurance company. Give her the chance to pay up. Now, she'll probably refuse by reading your statements and comments on what she said.

Finally, receive your insurance check from your insurance company within a reasonable timeframe, not weeks while dickering with this hag. Your insurance company will file the claim against hers and she will have to pay. That's why you need the police report.

If anyone disputes this, they're wrong. This is the correct way to handle incidents like this. You are not the attorney, police or whatever, just a victim. Your insurance will not go up.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It only stated "EXCHANGED PRIOR" on the report. Actually, I just got a print screen of the report. When I last talked to the officer, he asked me to call him if I need anything from him. I think if her insurance won't cover 100% of my lost, I will contact the officer and see if he can document what happened.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You better. I'm not flaming you, just giving you sound advice. I just went through this. The guy said up front he'd pay, the officer didn't want to write the report.. you know, "I'll write one if you need it." jester which is complete B.S. That's the policeman's job, document the scence. Slacker. Anyways, it's a real hassle to go back and forth with someone who doesn't want to pay for their mistake. State Farm is my agent as well. They don't like people yanking their customers around.

That's why if you get the proper people involved, you wont have to worry. That's golden.

Later

1 - 20 of 37 Posts