E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just did the Harman Kardon fix!!!

Hey guys,
I have dealt with this rattle for about 2 and half months now. Finally I got fed up with it today and went did the DIY fix. I stuffed a bunch of towels in the two holes and voila! My stereo sounds 100x better now that I have done this. If you haven't, its so easy and it really helps a ton. I just have one question to ones that have taken the harmon kardon out, or done the fix, I broke both the white tabs that are beside the front screws. I think you can get them out with a flat head but I ended up breaking them. Does anybody know if it will be okay without them. I got the 4 remaining bolts really tight?

Thanks,
Chad

·
Tinfoilhatatarian
2,622 Posts
ChadH said:
Hey guys,
I have dealt with this rattle for about 2 and half months now. Finally I got fed up with it today and went did the DIY fix. I stuffed a bunch of towels in the two holes and voila! My stereo sounds 100x better now that I have done this. If you haven't, its so easy and it really helps a ton. I just have one question to ones that have taken the harmon kardon out, or done the fix, I broke both the white tabs that are beside the front screws. I think you can get them out with a flat head but I ended up breaking them. Does anybody know if it will be okay without them. I got the 4 remaining bolts really tight?

Thanks,
Chad
please eloborate

·
Tinfoilhatatarian
2,622 Posts
ChadH said:
On which part? The fix itself or the clips that I broke?
both.. curious to see if I should do this fix as well and also which clips so i dont break the same ones thanks!

·
You ain't fresh AZIMIZ!!!!!
2,124 Posts
It's funny, that's the ONLY fix! I did it the 1st week I got my car :p

·
Registered
770 Posts
i have some rattles in my car. and would love to get rid of this one ,but fisrt what are you talking about? where did you stuff towels?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've done it too - bunch of old shirts for me - can actually boost the base once you do it.... then you have to deal with the door rattle!!!! **** harmon option 600 bucks will buy you a much better set up at circuit city/best buy

·
Registered
47 Posts
idoc330ci said:
Yeah...that H.K. rattle drives me crazy. I'm gonna try the nut and bolt diy to fix the rattle :thumbup:
I did this one and it worked like a charm... I didn't like the idea of towles stuffed in the back of my car. This is the best fix I have found http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/262483/2

I also added a rubber stopper to the end of the bolt to push up on the rear deck... NO MORE RATTLE BABY!!! :woot:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a quick step by step fellows.

1) Open your trunk and locate the harmam kardon subs under the rear deck. It is really hard to miss as it is a big black block. There are 4 bolts total on this, 2 on the front and 2 on the sides.

2) Remove all the bolts and you will notice 2 white plastic clips still hold it in. I didnt know how to remove this. In turn, I ended up wiggling these damn things until they broke. Once they break or you get them out, the sub box will fall.

3) There are 2 holes that you will see once the black box falls. Those are the 2 holes that you shove shirts, towels, socks or anything you can find. Now, this is important. Stuff this full of stuff.

4) Once that is done, re-install the sub box. Install the 4 bolts and 2 clips(if you didnt break them). Now, the rattle should be fixed.

On a side note, some say you need to unplug the sub box. I didnt, I was really careful and just let it hang. Its up to you.

-Chad

·
Read Only
97 Posts
ChadH said:
Here is a quick step by step fellows.

1) Open your trunk and locate the harmam kardon subs under the rear deck. It is really hard to miss as it is a big black block. There are 4 bolts total on this, 2 on the front and 2 on the sides.

2) Remove all the bolts and you will notice 2 white plastic clips still hold it in. I didnt know how to remove this. In turn, I ended up wiggling these damn things until they broke. Once they break or you get them out, the sub box will fall.

3) There are 2 holes that you will see once the black box falls. Those are the 2 holes that you shove shirts, towels, socks or anything you can find. Now, this is important. Stuff this full of stuff.

4) Once that is done, re-install the sub box. Install the 4 bolts and 2 clips(if you didnt break them). Now, the rattle should be fixed.

On a side note, some say you need to unplug the sub box. I didnt, I was really careful and just let it hang. Its up to you.

-Chad

Thanks! I'm sooo going to try this when I get home! :thumbup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would have done the exact same thing. But, the dealership is about an hour away from me, so I figured I would rather do this in 20 minutes than drive an hour and let me them fix it.

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,798 Posts
thats my fix! i did that a couple years ago. It works great and i have never experienced the rattle ever again. I havent had any problems w/ the old rags in there either. The bass sounds great now too.

As for the tabs, yeah, they are a bi tch to get out, you just have to pull real hard. IF you break them, it wont really matter, the 4 bolts holding it in should be fine.

-Mark

·
Registered
287 Posts
so what did u do about the door rattle?

jackwez said:
I've done it too - bunch of old shirts for me - can actually boost the base once you do it.... then you have to deal with the door rattle!!!! **** harmon option 600 bucks will buy you a much better set up at circuit city/best buy

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have the hk sound system but when i open the trunk i dont see a black box. did the previous owner take it out? any one have any pics of it?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts