Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally, just did my rear shocks.

Got my ECS Tuning RSM kit

+ Bilstein B6 Shocks

=

New rear shocks :D

They were SUPER easy to get out, I was like wooahhh mannnn, duuuuuudee!!! They almost look Original lol.

Getting the nut off wasn't hard. Thankyou lock jaws!! Putting them back together afterwards was easy enough. Hope I put everything back together right lol!!!

The hardest part was getting the new RSM to go INTO the old fitting, the new RSM is larger, however after much bashing, wiggling, pushing, swearing and maneuvering, I got the damn thing in, once it went in once, it pulled in and out quite easily. (And no I wasn't trying to mount with the reinforcement plate on lol.)

And of course

The carnage afterward.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm new rear shocks :D

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad your happy with it but your missing something... PICS OF THE CARRRRRRRRRRRRR =P
Oh lmao, I didn't do any of that, only cuz I didn't lower it.

Where I live = gigantic pothole central. Ask NathanJ, hes a forum member on here, came for a drive up my way. Buggered his shocks. Which is why he now has brand new ones and a drop lmao :D

So I didn't drop, however I'm going to move within the next few years to Townsville which is 100kms South and is where Nathan lives which ain't so bad.

THEN I'll get myself some Coilovers :D

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I can't entirely tell by the last two photos, but I think you put the concave washer on backwards. Compare to the second photo of when you removed the shocks to see the proper orientation. It's supposed to be facing upward, not downward! Otherwise, you're going to rip up your RSM's.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't entirely tell by the last two photos, but I think you put the concave washer on backwards. Compare to the second photo of when you removed the shocks to see the proper orientation. It's supposed to be facing upward, not downward! Otherwise, you're going to rip up your RSM's.
:censor::censor::censor::ben::ben::ben::ben::censor::ben::censor::ben::ben::censor::censor::censor::censor::ben::ben::ben::ben::censor::censor::censor::ben::ben::ben::ben::censor::ben::censor::ben::ben::censor::censor::censor::censor::ben::ben::ben::ben:

>.<

It's around the wrong way then.

Yes; they originally came standard on Z3's, and has since carried over to DIY'ing on our vehicles.
Ah ok

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Unless I can't see the pic properly, this is wrong. The top washer plate needs to be reversed. Look at the pic of your original shock and you'll see what I mean.

Unless of course it's the same but the pic seems to show it reversed. The nut needs to be sitting in the 'bowl' of the washer not on the bump if that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The other big question with Bilstein shocks is did you install a washer between the lower bolt and the shock?

If you didn't and the shock does not have one built in (like the OE ones) then the bolt will pull the bushing out of the shock and the shock will be detached.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you drop the car before tigtening the top nuts? and did you tighten the lower 18mm bolt to 48 ft-lbs? i hope you got new gaskets to keep out water.
Drop car before tightening - Check
Lower bolted torqued to spec - Check
New Gaskets - Check

(Gaskets came with the ECS kit)

Unless I can't see the pic properly, this is wrong. The top washer plate needs to be reversed. Look at the pic of your original shock and you'll see what I mean.

Unless of course it's the same but the pic seems to show it reversed. The nut needs to be sitting in the 'bowl' of the washer not on the bump if that makes sense.
Yeah, Spencers just pointed that out :facepalm:

Absolutely, ridiculously stupid right :facepalm:

I'll have to fix it tomorrow arv ...

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The other big question with Bilstein shocks is did you install a washer between the lower bolt and the shock?

If you didn't and the shock does not have one built in (like the OE ones) then the bolt will pull the bushing out of the shock and the shock will be detached.
Sayyy whaaa ... I was never informed of this ..........

Maybe it is big enough ...........

Dammit >.<

At least I'll have a washer that big handy :D

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
damn they do look like oem? hows the ride feel? any difference?
Give it a few weeks and the feel should be very similar to OE feel, with better performance, which is what I'm after.

I did do a test but, at high speeds, you could feel the back end was way behind the front end with heavy cornering. It feels a hell of a lot better now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.