BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil lamp went on for like 1 sec then shut off. No lights are on or anything. Should I worry about reseting anyways? Theres no lights or indicators, I thought there was was supposed to :hmm:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
What you're resetting is the countdown reminder that when reset is set at something around 15,000 miles. You don't NEED to do this it's just that it's annoying if you do the change and your countdown is off and it's telling you you need service. If you don't care about that when you start up, don't bother. It's just most of us on this site are a bit anal about these kinds of things.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
oooh i see. the thing that says next service? I thought that was like a service I or II kinda deal. Im at 116k miles btw, any of these coming up?

You think autozone could reset this?

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
how do we reset the service soon - the ass clowns at BMW didnt reset it last time - but I was using what was left to do the in between service (i dont believe in 15k service

·
Registered
612 Posts
Oil lamp coming on for a second is no big deal. For a second when you start your engine, it's low on oil pressure. Once the fresh new oil starts circulating it'll come off. Mine goes on for like....1 second and goes off after an oil change.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Anyone know how to reset the 15000 mile oil change countdown without using a reset tool?

·
Registered
21,720 Posts
OR - where do I buy the tool since I now own two BMWs and will be doing my own oil services

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found this the other day and it worked on my 330i. I think this is what ur referring 2. Hope it helps.

The ignition key off // Press and hold the trip odometer button in the instrument cluster and turn the ignition key to accessory position// Keep the button pressed for approx 5 sec until any of the following appear in the display "oil service, Inspection, with reset or Re. // Press reset button again and hold for approx 5 sec untl "reset or Re" // While display is flashing, press button briefly to reset SII // After display is shown new interval, the following will appear in display for approx 2 sec: "End SIA" NOTE: the system can only be reset AGAIN after the vehicle has been driven approx 50-75 miles (atleast 2.5 gallon of fuel used) (this applies if you have reset it once already and tried to reset again with the mileage period above) It is possible you can interrupt the cycle if the procedure is not properly followed by turning the key out of position before the reset can be established. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I found this the other day and it worked on my 330i. I think this is what ur referring 2. Hope it helps.

The ignition key off // Press and hold the trip odometer button in the instrument cluster and turn the ignition key to accessory position// Keep the button pressed for approx 5 sec until any of the following appear in the display "oil service, Inspection, with reset or Re. // Press reset button again and hold for approx 5 sec untl "reset or Re" // While display is flashing, press button briefly to reset SII // After display is shown new interval, the following will appear in display for approx 2 sec: "End SIA" NOTE: the system can only be reset AGAIN after the vehicle has been driven approx 50-75 miles (atleast 2.5 gallon of fuel used) (this applies if you have reset it once already and tried to reset again with the mileage period above) It is possible you can interrupt the cycle if the procedure is not properly followed by turning the key out of position before the reset can be established. Hope this helps.

That was just what i was looking for, thanks!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts