E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first E46 and love it 2002 325i auto ready to swap it to manual and upgrade it any tips hints or helps along the way will greatly appreciate it and will return the love back

·
Premium Member
2001 BMW 330ci - 5 Speed - 3.0 - 229k Miles - 03/2001
243 Posts
Check out my signature, Hyperlink goes to a collection of goodies related to the e46 platform. This forum has been around for quite some time so any information is sure to have been covered.

Got any pictures of the new ride?

·
Registered
2003 325i 5-speed / Alpine White
14 Posts
Congrats!

I bought a 2003 325i a little over a year ago and have found this forum EXTREMELY helpful. There are also some very useful YouTube channels (50skid, ShopLifeTV) for DIY maintenance/repairs.

Here are some helpful links that I used at the beginning of ownership to plan out how I wanted to get off on the right foot in terms of maintenance:

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
That is how I feel have had pictures on my wall since I was 12 then had kids got married start working at dealerships lol I broke down and said bump it I want my baby ima get it View attachment 961698
View attachment 961699
Exterior seems in pretty decent shape, what's the mileage like? Does it have any service records? Any new purchase is worth its weight in gold with a PPI.

Transmission won't matter because you want to swap it, but the cooling system is probably the first thing you want to maintain. Especially if there are no records of it in ~5 years.

Good luck with the new ride!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exterior seems in pretty decent shape, what's the mileage like? Does it have any service records? Any new purchase is worth its weight in gold with a PPI.

Transmission won't matter because you want to swap it, but the cooling system is probably the first thing you want to maintain. Especially if there are no records of it in ~5 years.

Good luck with the new ride!
……. It has 93,000 on it and in good shape just the bushings on the lower control arm the oil pan gasket and while I change that I’m going to change the motor mounts control arms and other hoses and stuff while I have the subframe dropped

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats man! Just picked up my 1st one a few days ago as well! Put about 150 miles on it and just removed the exhaust and have the top half pulled apart replacing all the gaskets! Also a good person to check out on YT would be ImJoel..he goes over a lot of useful info while doing the manual swap!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats man! Just picked up my 1st one a few days ago as well! Put about 150 miles on it and just removed the exhaust and have the top half pulled apart replacing all the gaskets! Also a good person to check out on YT would be ImJoel..he goes over a lot of useful info while doing the manual swap!
I appreciate it bro I am going through it right now with the little odds and ends but I love the set up

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
……. It has 93,000 on it and in good shape just the bushings on the lower control arm the oil pan gasket and while I change that I’m going to change the motor mounts control arms and other hoses and stuff while I have the subframe dropped
Good start, surprising the oil pan gasket is bad but time is noones friend. Make sure you do a little research on the FCABs and RCABs. They need to be installed while the control arm is at ride height. Meaning they won't have tension on the bushing when you tighten them on. This will help increase the life expectancy of the bushings.

Heed the warning about these cooling systems. Make sure you at least replace the coolant itself before embarking on any major trips. ET are known to burst and there are a few plastic pipes the like to leak and break too. If you take the rear subframe out, check the mounting points for hairline cracks in the frame and consider doing the reinforcement plates. Another common issue.

Good luck and welcome to the forums again!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good start, surprising the oil pan gasket is bad but time is noones friend. Make sure you do a little research on the FCABs and RCABs. They need to be installed while the control arm is at ride height. Meaning they won't have tension on the bushing when you tighten them on. This will help increase the life expectancy of the bushings.

Heed the warning about these cooling systems. Make sure you at least replace the coolant itself before embarking on any major trips. ET are known to burst and there are a few plastic pipes the like to leak and break too. If you take the rear subframe out, check the mounting points for hairline cracks in the frame and consider doing the reinforcement plates. Another common issue.

Good luck and welcome to the forums again!
Thank you I didn’t even know about the rear subframe I will eventually drop it next month and try to change the whole rear end and put plates on it

·
Registered
1980 733i, 2006 m3
840 Posts
Welcome!
Great color. Don't forget to enjoy the car. Fixing and modding is one thing, but the drive...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts