E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Just bought high mileage E46

3K views 38 replies 30 participants last post by  GhostRider 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this board (although I've been lurking for about a month).

Just picked up a 2000 328i. Black with Tan interior, Sport and Premium packages. I think the only things it doesnt have is the Harmon Kardon CD. It has Xenons, 17" wheels, sport/power seats,moonroof,DSC. It's a Manual (stick). It was a lease and it has 89,000. And you know what? It looks and drives like a brand new car! The guy must have done all highway because the suspension is perfect and it runs very smooth and drives great! Flew to pick it up and drove it back home 600 miles straight. It was flawless.

I picked it up from a wholesaler/dealer in Illinois for what I think is a great price. This guy sells all high end cars, he had a newer Ferrari Maranello 575 (900 miles) also, that was sweet.I'm in Memphis and could not find one anywhere around here for a good price (most over $25K), so I found one on eBay and the guy had great feedback so I bought it. Got it for $17,000. Mint condition except for a small ding in the front of the hood, looks like someone bumped into it in the parking lot. I can live with that.

Anyway, I am a big do-it-yourself type (not sure how many of you on here are, seems like most of you guys keep your cars a few years then trade up. I try to buy reliable, higher mileage cars in mint shape and do any needed repairs myself. (kind of a hobby, plus leaves more money to invest).

I also only buy cars that have a good online enthusiast site because I can go there to share information or get help on repairs or problems and also get good prices on parts. I find this saves time and $ and helps in diagnosing any problems that come up.

Anyway, just wanted to post my thoughts on my new BMW.

Later

See less See more
#2 ·
ScottV said:
Hello,

I am new to this board (although I've been lurking for about a month).

Just picked up a 2000 328i. Black with Tan interior, Sport and Premium packages. I think the only things it doesnt have is the Harmon Kardon CD. It has Xenons, 17" wheels, sport/power seats,moonroof,DSC. It's a Manual (stick). It was a lease and it has 89,000. And you know what? It looks and drives like a brand new car! The guy must have done all highway because the suspension is perfect and it runs very smooth and drives great! Flew to pick it up and drove it back home 600 miles straight. It was flawless.

I picked it up from a wholesaler/dealer in Illinois for what I think is a great price. This guy sells all high end cars, he had a newer Ferrari Maranello 575 (900 miles) also, that was sweet.I'm in Memphis and could not find one anywhere around here for a good price (most over $25K), so I found one on eBay and the guy had great feedback so I bought it. Got it for $17,000. Mint condition except for a small ding in the front of the hood, looks like someone bumped into it in the parking lot. I can live with that.

Anyway, I am a big do-it-yourself type (not sure how many of you on here are, seems like most of you guys keep your cars a few years then trade up. I try to buy reliable, higher mileage cars in mint shape and do any needed repairs myself. (kind of a hobby, plus leaves more money to invest).

I also only buy cars that have a good online enthusiast site because I can go there to share information or get help on repairs or problems and also get good prices on parts. I find this saves time and $ and helps in diagnosing any problems that come up.

Anyway, just wanted to post my thoughts on my new BMW.

Later
Congrats!!! Many happy miles ahead!!!

#8 ·
I find that price a little hard to believe, even with those miles. Congrats on a steal.

#12 ·
Yeah, I was very happy about the price. I had originally been looking at an E36 because those were more in line with what I wanted to pay, but stumbled upon this one... got lucky with the manual, didnt see many of those for sale... this is the only pic I have on my computer right now, will add more tomorrow when the sun is out. Hopefully this one will show up, although small. Later!

Attachments

#18 ·
Congratulations! I also purchased my car with lots of miles off of eBay.
Mine had 59K, and it was delivered in damn near mint condition (I was
actually amazed at how clean it was) :)

I didn't get as good a deal as you did (even considering the mileage
difference), but I really wanted the silver coupe, which is rather popular
with the bidding population.

The funny thing is everybody asks me if the car is brand new, Bimmers are
just so sweet looking. People often don't believe me when I tell them there
are more than 60K miles on it :thumbup:

You're going to LOVE it.

#20 ·
Hey Scott - congrat's and welcome.

I grew up in Memphis. Watch out for Roadshow if you need service. My mom had a couple of E36's when they were living there and she never had anything good to say about them. I've never noticed anyone else saying they are from that area, but I'm sure there are some folks around here who could give you local advice if you ever need it.

#21 ·
JPJ said:
Hey Scott - congrat's and welcome.

I grew up in Memphis. Watch out for Roadshow if you need service. My mom had a couple of E36's when they were living there and she never had anything good to say about them. I've never noticed anyone else saying they are from that area, but I'm sure there are some folks around here who could give you local advice if you ever need it.
THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE WELCOMES!

JPJ - I plan to avoid BMW dealerships (with help from this board and my Bentley manual that is on the way). A friend at work has a Z3 and she stopped taking her car to Roadshow and started to go to Motorwerks (an independent shop that works on BMW,MB, & Porsche. Thanks for the headsup though!

I'm going to be changing diff, tranny,engine fluids along with any other maintenance items because of the high mileage so I'll be taking pictures and will try to make up some DIY tech guides for the board if needed. There is a lot of information to go through and I would like to add to it if possible!

#23 ·
Sound great Scott.

I'd like to see a how-to on trans. fluid replacement. I don't have a service manual and would like to go with Redline. I did it on my Z28 and could really tell the difference (esp. when real cold - but not as much of a problem for you in Memphis ;) ).

#26 ·
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the community here! I've got almost the exact same car (sans premium package, plus heated seats) and am very happy with it. I bought mine CPO in August with 36k on it and am nearing 50k as we speak:) Great car, I can get mid 30s on the highway mpg if I keep my foot in check, which amazed me.

The car no longer looks exactly as shown in the pic, I sold my OEM type 44s for some BBS wheels for summer use, de-badged it, and I'm going to remove the tacky gold pinstripes (tape on and a poor job at that) and have some tastefully hand-striped this spring. Otherwise, we're twins!

Ben

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.