E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as you have read, I just bought a pair of OEM Bi-Xenons from a fellow forum member at bimmerforums. Now this is my first time looking into it so I just want to make sure I got it right after the all the research I cramped into my head after I saw the ad.

Link to the ad thread

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1842000

1-They should be "plug and Play" concerning the wiring. Now this ones I bought have the self-leveling feature, which I guess takes more work to them to work properly (I could work on that later but for now I can rock them like regular Xenons correct????

2-Need to program them to work with my car (I know someone that might be able to help me) which I have seen the software GT1 and seemed as easy as choosing the retrofit option and choosing Xenons...

3-Would the HIDs right away?- which seem to be assembled with the headlight also work with the regular plugs from my halogens or will I need to extra wiring for the HIDs to work?

I might be missing questions right now but I want to make sure I get all I need ready so when these bad boys arrive I can plug them, go to buddies house, and rock them like there is no tomorrow!!

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
I am kind of in the same boat, from whay i figured its plug and play the only issue is that we need to get our cars coded for those. So my question is, are there any aftermarket HID kits that wont require coding????

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how hard is to do the bixenon wiring? anyone here done it and has any tips with it..I have seen a few DIYs and it looks a bit tricky..I am good with some mechanical DIYs but this would be my first electrical DIY

·
Registered
134 Posts
I chose not to do it. It looked too in depth for me and I knew I would mess up the wiring so I skipped it.

I haven't found myself missing it once though. If I need hi beams, I just pull the stalk towards me. I live in NJ so I really don't need the always on hi beam.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You can code your car to have xenon's and keep highbeams. When you do coding, just code the car as having xenon, not bixenon and you keep your high beams.
E46s without bixenons as a factory option do not have the wiring harness that controls the bixenon shutter. Thats why you have to create your own harness to get that function when going from halogen to bixenon. Without it, you still retain the inner high beam flash to pass, but don't have the bixenon highbeam.

No coding can make the shutters work without the wiring harness. Get the coding, and make a harness like Terra said and you will have the bixenon shutters

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
You can code your car to have xenon's and keep highbeams. When you do coding, just code the car as having xenon, not bixenon and you keep your high beams.
Technically no. The option code for bixenons and xenon is the same - so you can't specifically code a 2002+ E46 as a single xenon car. However, you can enable the European bixenon functionality - where the bixenon shutters and halogens are activated together. So if you didn't retrofit the shutter connections, this ends up working exactly like a single-xenon car.

·
Registered
490 Posts
What I did with my car was retrofit HID's then I went into Pasoft and selected xenon (not bixenon) which disabled the cold check on the headlights but kept the others and my car no longer gives me errors of the low beams being out and my highs still function as highs.

As posted before yes, if you want bixenon you do have to run the wires to power the shields.

This is the window I get for coding (yours might differ) I selected "xenon lights ignition" then "xenon with AHL".

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is getting complicated. And I am in the same boat. Since I just 'acquired' a set of bixenons from a '04 ZHP Sedan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.