E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I just bought a 2004 325ci vert with a fully automatic soft top. The thing runs great and everything was just dandy until yesterday.

To make a long story short, I tried putting the top up to wash it but something seemed wrong. I took a look but didn't notice anything. Then I tried putting the top back down and now it was evident something was definitely messed up. I took a look again and noticed that the rear driver's side headrest back portion (the part with the metal rollover protection) had been busted and got sucked into the top when I tried putting it down.

Frantically I tried to put the top back up but it wasn't really nudging so I slipped my hand in and just pulled the headrest piece out. Then boom, hydraulic oil in the boot and on my driveway. The spring loaded retractable doors and the top trimming the doors hooked into also busted.

I followed the directions of the sticky on this forum to get the top off, but in the process I tore out the wiring from the hall sensor (Part# 54347043558).

I have come to the conclusion that it was line #23 that leaked, because it was split and bent in the exact same place the pictures on this forum show. So I just bought the $200 extended #23 hydraulic line from TopHydraulics.

Is there anything you guys can recommend? I don't think the cylinders are messed up but I'm not exactly sure what to look for beyond leaking. This is soul crushing because I wasn't aware of the headrest issue and the top was working just fine when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Take it back to where you purchased it and usually they give you a 1 week-30 day satisfaction if you find broken bits. A lot of shady dealers sell "as-is" but you can beat them up about it. I had my brake line burst within 3 weeks of purchasing my car and they installed mine for free. I went ahead and upgraded to the steel braid lines because of the free labor :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts