BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
My installer told me that you can't install that w/o customizing the door panels. Here's why:

1. It uses the 6.5" woofer - to mount it to the door panel itself, you'd need to create custom baffles and then perhaps drill out the door panel hole to surface mount it. I think someone here has been able to do it, but it took some effort. You won't be able to return to your stock system if you do this, as you won't be using the stock speaker grills anymore.

2. The midrange they give in that system won't fit in the stock location in the door. If you look, the stock system has one baffle that holes both tweeter and midrange. You won't be able to fit both JL mids and tweets in that location.

I'm sure the system sounds great, but I'm perfectly happy w/ what I got - the XR525-CS - There's enough midbass from the 5.25, and the tweeter sounds great. No real need for a dedicated midrange IMO.

BeamerDaddy2001 said:
Does anyone have the JL XR653-CS (3-way components) installed in they E46?? If so, how do you like the sound and did you have to do any custom work during the installation???

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I was thinking custom work will have to be done.

I heard someone did it and they put the 6-1/2 JL subs in the same location as the HK 6-1/2" subs, they put the JL midrange in the same location as the HK midrange/tweeters and then they put the JL tweeters on the outside of the door panel. They said that it sounds VERY good.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm sure it does. Where exactly did they place the tweeter? Still on the door or on the A pillar?

IMO, its not worth the extra install cost to get the 3-way setup. The woofer and tweeter have such wide frequency responses that the two can cover everything the midrange can.

BeamerDaddy2001 said:
Yea, I was thinking custom work will have to be done.

I heard someone did it and they put the 6-1/2 JL subs in the same location as the HK 6-1/2" subs, they put the JL midrange in the same location as the HK midrange/tweeters and then they put the JL tweeters on the outside of the door panel. They said that it sounds VERY good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts