1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about the Boston Acoustics

·
Registered
136 Posts
why go with 5 1/4" when you can go 6 1/2"?

I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about the Boston Acoustics
I 2nd that! :thumbup: ...I'd rather pay $200 for 2 pairs of Boston 6 1/2" components than $150 for one set of JL 5 1/4"
- Boston 6 1/2 components -

By the way, be aware that if you're using your factory HK amp & radio and whatnot, that your aftermarket speakers are going to have a different impedance and likely to be drawing less power from your amp. Also your factory amp has built-in x-overs which will affect the sound when putting that signal into the x-overs that come supplied with your new component set. In other words, it may not sound as you'd expect, and if that is the case, it's nothing wrong with the speakers themselves but the set-up.

·
Registered
136 Posts
When I wire these up should i use the factory crossover, or delete it and use the JL one?
You can't really delete the factory x-overs if you're using the factory amp as it is built inside somewhere (from what i've heard) ...i'd always recommend using the one that came with the speakers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Those are good speakers. Definitely get the 6.5, as they will fit in your door w no problem. Your next priority should be to replace the factory amp with one that will make those speakers sound the way they're supposed to.

·
Registered
136 Posts
So because i'm using the factory amp right now you are saying I shouldn't use the JL crossover?
yep

keep it though and use it if and when you decide to drop the HK amp and go with aftermarket power. i'm sure it will sound a hell of a lot better with an aftermarket amp + the JL (or which ever brand) x-overs

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input, I'm gonna give the JL 6.5" components a try. Anyone dynamat there doors? I was thinking of doing this while I had the door panels off.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not sure if this question makes sense...
Ok, in summary, if we replace our speakers with aftermarket equipment - and we want them to sound good - then we must also replace the factory amp with an aftermarket amp.

My question is: How does BSW accomplish this task? If I'm not mistaken, they sell replacement speakers that are plug-and-play. If we are adding BSW speakers (again, not factory but aftermarket), how come there is no need to replace the factory amp?

Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ok, in summary, if we replace our speakers with aftermarket equipment - and we want them to sound good - then we must also replace the factory amp with an aftermarket amp.

My question is: How does BSW accomplish this task? If I'm not mistaken, they sell replacement speakers that are plug-and-play. If we are adding BSW speakers (again, not factory but aftermarket), how come there is no need to replace the factory amp?

Appreciate the help.
Their plug and play systems are designed specifically to work with the factory amp because they have the correct impedance and are made of better material than you stock speakers as well.

·
Registered
693 Posts

Appreciate the help.
Their plug and play systems are designed specifically to work with the factory amp because they have the correct impedance and are made of better material than you stock speakers as well.
With this said, there are many many aftermarket amps out there that will sound better for the price.

The BSW system is for someone who wants better than factory sound, without all the stuffing about that comes with a custom setup.

Really, it isn't all that much effort to get drop in speaker replacements and run some basic wiring to a new amp. Thanks to BMW, you at least have the battery in the boot, which makes running power cables a **** load easier than getting power from the engine bay.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts