BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys -

I've got to replace my clutch and I my old jack is about dead. So, I'm going to buy new jack and some more stands. How tall do I need to get so that I can safely drop the transmission (manual)? I'd like to be able to drop it with low profile transmission jack, so I don't drop it on my head. :p So, I need to get the 330i up tall enough to fit the transmission on the transmission jack and roll it out.

Let me know.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I'd put this car on four stands, and put them as high as they can go. I'd look for 24 - 30 inches, and take more if I could get it. I'd lift the car half the distance on one side, or end, and then lift it the full distance on the other, then return to the first and lift it the remaining amount.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Re: Jack & Jack Stands... How Tall?

I just hate getting that far under the car. Scares the crap out of me. When doing my post cat o2s, not only did I have 2 jacks and 2 stands holding it up,I also used 4 of my rims placed in clutch spots in case shit falls and I needed an emergency bailout route

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just hate getting that far under the car. Scares the crap out of me. When doing my post cat o2s, not only did I have 2 jacks and 2 stands holding it up,I also used 4 of my rims placed in clutch spots in case **** falls and I needed an emergency bailout route

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Yeah... scares me a bit, too. It's one of the reasons I'm getting new stands, so my old stands can be safety backups.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you're scared, build some wood ramps.

Something like this or you can buy these.

Personally I would build some wooden ramps because you can make them to your wanting - just remember lots of lateral support and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have any of you guys invested in one of those home scissor type lifts? Those seem pretty cool, but are like $1200. I mean... the work I'm going to be doing myself will more than make back $1200 compared to taking it to a mechanic, but still.... that's a lot of coin.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Personally I would build some wooden ramps because you can make them to your wanting - just remember lots of lateral support and you'll be fine.
The Rhino ramps definitely wouldn't work getting it up high enough. I used them for cooling system and an oil change, but anything farther back and you definitely dont' have the room.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
The Rhino ramps definitely wouldn't work getting it up high enough. I used them for cooling system and an oil change, but anything farther back and you definitely dont' have the room.
+1 I just changed my tranny fluid today, and the Rhino ramps didn't lift it high enough; had to put it on stands.

This is on my Christmas list:

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,560 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Even if you put four? I wasn't saying drive up on two, but rather raise the car with a jack in the front and put the Rhino Ramps under the front, then do the same to the back.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Jack & Jack Stands... How Tall?

Think about that, and explain in detail how it's done. To drive up on 4 ramps, all wheels must go the same direction. The ramps won't fit between the front and back wheels.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
402 Posts
Think about that, and explain in detail how it's done. To drive up on 4 ramps, all wheels must go the same direction. The ramps won't fit between the front and back wheels.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
How long are they? If they're too long, couldn't you just put the rear ones backwards? It was just a suggestion, I don't have a pair. Personally, I built my own wooden ramps with LED's in them. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
152 Posts

I know this is an older thread but this is an awesome idea and I will be building mine this weekend. I need to get under my 325 and check tranny mounts, quibo, U-Joints etc etc etc and jack stands or Rhino Ramps don't cut it. With a crawler undre the car what couldn't a person do except for tire work and jack stands for that since you don't have to crawl under the car.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I had my car up on all fours with only about 18inches worth of clearance and did my CSB and Guibo. It was ok except the exhaust when it was time to put it back in. Its a little heavy.

When it is up , I climb into my car and wiggle a bit, make sure nothings sliding around, I also have a jack up front and try to have one in the rear just in case the jack stands "fail"

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,818 Posts

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
This is not true, I did the job twice by myself with Rhino ramps at the front and jack stands at the rear, was able to use a std jack to help lower & raise the transmission. I did not put the jack stands at their highest position in the rear, I think they were up one from the bottom. Esco stands.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts