BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when the car actually does die due to high mileage or just being plain damn old, how does it die? Does it just stall and never start again?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
ive thrown away many cars like that over the years ...if id stored them they might have gone up in value again. whats really sickening is when YOU have to pay to get someone to come and take it away!

·
Registered
155 Posts
i have had three cars "die". two of them ran ok but began to smoke at the tailpipe. when the smoke got too bad, i pronounced them dead and replaced them. one developed a severe knock in the engine and i put it to pasture, too. lots of failure modes are possible and all most of them are fixable(including the three i listed), so death of a vehicle might be that it takes more money than you want to spend or more hassle than you want to undertake to repair it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
in 5 years time an e46 (low end model) will be worth a few hundred dollars. when the tranny goes it's decision time isn't it. 10 years there will be virtually none on the road.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
in 5 years time an e46 (low end model) will be worth a few hundred dollars. when the tranny goes it's decision time isn't it. 10 years there will be virtually none on the road.
Thats pretty gloomy prediction, but still the truth.

On the other hand, there are thousands of the old E30 box shape 3 series running here in South Africa. Since no emission regulations(or any other for that matter...(i didnt say that)), you can drive anything for as long as you want. Smoke machines on (worn)wheels with shaky steering (and incompetent drivers) rule the roads...

Thats besides the people that spend 15x the value of the car on accesories(mags,sound etc). Ever saw an E30 thats worth twice the value of your E46? Thats sick OVERCAPITALIZATION. But it happens...

·
Registered
4,906 Posts

I dont think so because I see e36s everywhere and FYI they only stopped making e46s 2 years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts