BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Jim W,

I think you're creating some serious diagnostic fatigue here. Your post 3hrs ago (above mine) says your definition of "start" is if the engine is "running after cranking" But a few posts up you say this: "definitely no crank. No noise. No nothing." .....which is again - a totally different version of no start. I see you are new, but from the sounds of your posts you have some skills. So, I suggest you do a FINAL explanation of what's happening so the great minds here can noodle on it...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Jim W,

I think you're creating some serious diagnostic fatigue here. Your post 3hrs ago (above mine) says your definition of "start" is if the engine is "running after cranking" But a few posts up you say this: "definitely no crank. No noise. No nothing." .....which is again - a totally different version of no start. I see you are new, but from the sounds of your posts you have some skills. So, I suggest you do a FINAL explanation of what's happening so the great minds here can noodle on it...
No. Fatigue intended. Here's what gives. Engine temperature warm -- no crank no start. Engine temperature cool (70 deg. F) engine will crank, start and run.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
No. Fatigue intended. Here's what gives. Engine temperature warm -- no crank no start. Engine temperature cool (70 deg. F) engine will crank, start and run.
And thanks for trying to help out. I'm baffled by what is failing in the starter circuitry when engine has been run and is warm. Temps lately 85 - 95 F have been enough to cause the no crank issue.

·
Registered
511 Posts
OK. So I'd do what Sapote suggests on the signal wires to the starter. BTW, you did not tell us - is the vehicle totally stock or modified in any way? Also is it a manual or an auto. The manuals may have a starter override safety switch so you can't start it with the clutch in as several manual cars I've had did.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So, here's the deal at this point. Truth of the matter -- I'm dad of 330ci owner and technical consultant to the effort -- not really knowing exactly what the effort is. But looking back since acquisition of car there have been failure to start complications -- while he was in college and now. Cannot specify whether no crank has always been issue. But here's where we are with the project. After replacing his fuel filter, he started the car and it ran and it carried him to the fuel depot where he filled up and returned to home base in the garage before turning motor off. It is predictable. If car has been run, and is warm from operating and it doesn't even have to be really warm -- just warm at all. And there is no crank.

I advised son to order the BMW Scanner 1.4 and whatever arrived today was a 'K+DCAN' OBD->USB (interface) without the INPA diagnostics. In order to look at pictures such as above need a software interface so the computer screen shows the diagnostics. Windows 7 laptop if you please. Yes, know it is old technology.

Also, there was inquiry whether 330ci was automatic or manual. Answer: manual.

One more time. Go into the garage (in Arkansas temps now 80's and humid) and engine starts and runs with a turn of the key. Go drive and warm up engine. Drive back to garage (home base) and park. Turn key, no crank. Electronics come on. Appears to be hot on EWS side. Need more info on DME input to starter

Help! INPA diagnostic software needed for K+DCAN (OBD/USB)

Thanks.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts