BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
ASA NO MO
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you know that over the past month or so I have been having major issues with my clutch. After I installed the ASA kit my factory clutch lasted about 500 miles before it got smoked. After doing some research I decided to upgrade my setup with a UUC Gen II flywheel and a SPEC stage 3 racing clutch.

The first time I drove the car, after the install, the clutch felt strange. First off, it would engage very high, almost at the point where you release the clutch. While driving home from my mecchanic, the dam thing slipped on me. You should have seen my face. I place numerous calls to SPEC and was told that the clutch needed to be broken in for 500 miles, mind you its a 6 puk copper ceramic system. Anyway, the guys at spec told me I might be able to ride it out since it slipped. From that point on, for about 900 miles, I babied the car more then when I first got it. I say 900 miles is about right for a break in, but guess what? Yup you got it, slipped again.

Now I am mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called spec again, descibed to another person what was happening and he stopped me in my tracks. Ooooo he says, I know what that is. The self adjusting system on the clutch is bad. This happens when the box is shipped and the carrier drops it. Send it in and we will fix it for you. HOLLY MOTHER I WAS GOIN TO KILL THIS GUY!!!!

The following day I called my mecchanic and asked him if this was possible, of course he said no, no way am I keeping your car on my lift for 3-4 days he says. Well only one thing to do, purchase another one. I orderd the same clutch but this time I requested that the self adjusting system be removed as I didnt want to take another chance.

Monday I finally got the clutch installed and after breaking it in for a few hundred miles, THE F THING FINALLY HOLDS. I didnt gun it all the way, but I got on it heavy enough to smoke some cars. I mean come on, I started to hate my car and even considered selling it. Im happy that I did not. I cant stop driving the car, I just took a break to come here and post.

Anyway the UUC flywheel IMPROVES acceleration and the RPM's climb faster then ever before. I reccomend this product to anyone, it will make a difference you can really feel. This is the first time that I really can feel the power of the supercharger, OMG the dam thing is soooooooooooooooooooo wicked fast sometimes it scares me :)

I will do a review of the ASA kit in another thread some day.

Back to driving :)

PEACE

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,723 Posts
wo0 im glad your clutch issue is resolved. W0w The new flywheel,clutch,and AsA must definately kick major arse. you gotta go to de_strip and unleash the beast! And post your times here:)

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,823 Posts
glad you finally got that worked out! Did you send the old clutch back to SPEC? What is the difference with or without the self adjusting system?

Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
crispvx said:
Many of you know that over the past month or so I have been having major issues with my clutch. After I installed the ASA kit my factory clutch lasted about 500 miles before it got smoked. After doing some research I decided to upgrade my setup with a UUC Gen II flywheel and a SPEC stage 3 racing clutch.

The first time I drove the car, after the install, the clutch felt strange. First off, it would engage very high, almost at the point where you release the clutch. While driving home from my mecchanic, the dam thing slipped on me. You should have seen my face. I place numerous calls to SPEC and was told that the clutch needed to be broken in for 500 miles, mind you its a 6 puk copper ceramic system. Anyway, the guys at spec told me I might be able to ride it out since it slipped. From that point on, for about 900 miles, I babied the car more then when I first got it. I say 900 miles is about right for a break in, but guess what? Yup you got it, slipped again.

Now I am mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called spec again, descibed to another person what was happening and he stopped me in my tracks. Ooooo he says, I know what that is. The self adjusting system on the clutch is bad. This happens when the box is shipped and the carrier drops it. Send it in and we will fix it for you. HOLLY MOTHER I WAS GOIN TO KILL THIS GUY!!!!

The following day I called my mecchanic and asked him if this was possible, of course he said no, no way am I keeping your car on my lift for 3-4 days he says. Well only one thing to do, purchase another one. I orderd the same clutch but this time I requested that the self adjusting system be removed as I didnt want to take another chance.

Monday I finally got the clutch installed and after breaking it in for a few hundred miles, THE F THING FINALLY HOLDS. I didnt gun it all the way, but I got on it heavy enough to smoke some cars. I mean come on, I started to hate my car and even considered selling it. Im happy that I did not. I cant stop driving the car, I just took a break to come here and post.

Anyway the UUC flywheel IMPROVES acceleration and the RPM's climb faster then ever before. I reccomend this product to anyone, it will make a difference you can really feel. This is the first time that I really can feel the power of the supercharger, OMG the dam thing is soooooooooooooooooooo wicked fast sometimes it scares me :)

I will do a review of the ASA kit in another thread some day.

Back to driving :)

PEACE
Back to getting owned by IS300's again. noob.

·
call me kev :D
6,320 Posts
Re: Re: It's about MF time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gman12 said:

Back to getting owned by IS300's again. noob.
can someone ban this loser already? damn, he took the time to sign up for the forum just to cause a riot, and then get banned thinking "man that was soo cool, did u see what i did on e46fan"

bunch of people with absolutely no life these days.. damn retarded

·
Almost stock
738 Posts
congrats crisp! cant wait to get mine in. Hrmmm, you have me thinking about a lightened flywheel now! :banghead:

·
Rogue Engineering
2,498 Posts
Vince,
What exactly does it mean when the clutch slips. Ive been trying to figure it out by reading some posts but Im still confused...what exactly does it feel like and when...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Owned by IS300's... That's a good one, I could smoke an IS300 in reverse on my lawn tractor :flipoff: Get a life pal...

·
'a certain moderator'
38,212 Posts
viiiiiiiiiiince, u had better roll down this weekend! :evil: i can get my diff on and we can race :eeps: :eeps: :eeps:

J/k :D glad all ur toubles appear to be behind you... far behind that SCd beast

·
ASA NO MO
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tim330i said:
glad you finally got that worked out! Did you send the old clutch back to SPEC? What is the difference with or without the self adjusting system?

Tim
Im sending the clutch kit back to spec tomorrow so they can replace the clutch disk with a new one. I am also going to have them remove the self adjusting system.

When I get it back I might consider selling it :)

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,183 Posts
i'm glad that it work out for you

and thanks for your advise on the light weight flywheel. i thought
that was true but it's nice to hear someone else say the same good points of the lfw
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
moderation in all things
908 Posts
SpinHouse247 said:
Owned by IS300's... That's a good one, I could smoke an IS300 in reverse on my lawn tractor :flipoff: Get a life pal...
actually, i think the guy was refering to LIL IS300's very fast turbo-charged is300.

he and crispvx raced before and the is300 won 5 - 0.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116670

when are you guys going to race again?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts