E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about getting one of those csl reps they go from $1k an up do they really give some extra hp? i like to get some extra hp d cheapest and safest way need some advice. thanks

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
do you mean the carbon fiber csl rep airbox? they do give some extra hp, but in terms of bang for buck...there are cheaper options to gain hp. that mod is mostly for the induction sound.

·
Premium Member
19,227 Posts
i think theyre only worth it when you have the tune to take advantage of it and not run a MAF. otherwise, what he said, cheaper ways to do it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you guys give me suggestions? I wanna start working on d car so by spring time have some extra hp

·
Registered
763 Posts
The only real way to get extra HP out of the car is to go to forced induction. Otherwise, there are very few HP gains to be had from bolt ons. An exhaust is a better option than the airbox as it may add a little HP, but it will make a dramatic weight difference, which is as good as (and actually better than) a boost in power.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Headers and tune is your best bang for the buck mod hands down. Intake may loose power besides the CSL box with Alpha tune. Exhaust you gain barely anything. It's more for the sound factor which is big in my opinion so was worth it for me. That is really it. You can get the horns on the throttle bodies with a tune.

Like posted above if you want more than lets say 40HP max if your lucky you have to go FI. Add up how much you spent to get close to the 40HP and your better off going FI right away and saving money cash.

To answer your question - the fake replicas do work with an Alpha N tune I believe. They make some HP (20-30HP max with tune) if your lucky. They look amazing and sound great. But not worth the $1-2K without tune. For another 1-2K extra you can get a SC and be pushing over 400HP. Some people only like NA engines or FI engines. Two totally different animals when setup properly. I would bet though that a NA engine will never be as powerful for HP/TQR numbers.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
thanks again, im little ignorant whats FI and NA? where can i look into it? website etc...

If you don't know what those terms mean - then I'll respectfully suggest that you slow down and learn something about cars - BEFORE you go modifying your car for "more horsepower" lacking an understanding of the basics.

FI: Forced induction
NA: Normally aspirated

·
Premium Member
19,227 Posts
Got to agree with Alan on that one man. If not you and your money will be taken for a ride. Lol.

·
Premium Member
19,227 Posts
Start slow. Get a basic intake and chip tune. Drop some weight.
Then as u learn more maybe in a year or so u can decide what's best for you and go for it, be it FI or NA.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Before even looking into a CF Airbox, you must decide which route you want to go with your car. Many of us prefer to stick with NA power, so for some it's worth spending that extra money to get the Airbox. For others, they just want all out brute power, so they prefer to go FI.

If you are committed to staying NA, then getting a CF Airbox will benefit you power wise if you have supporting modifications (proper cat less headers, Section 1, tune, etc). So I encourage you to look into getting the other supporting modifications first because they will give you a more gratifying bump in power per dollar spent. Next up, you need to make sure you choose the RIGHT CF Airbox. There are a lot of crappy and poorly built CF Airboxes out there, even from reputable vendors. You want to look for CF Airboxes that implement CSL trumpet designs, strong CF construction, strong internal bracing, clean weaves, clear coats, ducting, etc. The cheaper replicas that I have seen are pretty bad and not worth it by any means.

If you get a proper CF Airbox, it will delete the MAF sensor, so you will have to get an Alpha-N tune. Next step is to pick the proper tuner. It's absolutely crucial that you pick a tuner who is very well experienced in doing these conversions. There are tons of tuners out there that offer Alpha-N tunes, but I hear through the grapevine that they have troubles with power delivery and stability. The Airbox and Tune combination can probably yield 25-30hp, with most of that coming from the tune.

I could go on and on with the pros/cons of getting a CF Airbox. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask and I can try to answer them to the best of my ability. I have done quite a bit of research and can recommend some good supporting modifications as well based off my own experience.

For the record, I chose to get the Evolve Automotive CF Airbox and Alpha-N tune. This is probably the top CF Airbox out on the market aside from the OEM CSL Airbox. Check out the photos and take note of the proper construction, good weave, clear coat, trumpets, and internal bracing.

·
Registered
136 Posts
$1k for 1 hp? Wtf are you guys smoking? To the op: this is the WRONG car to be wanting more hp with. The fact that it makes high rpm hp required the motor to breathe fairly well stock and the fact that it's a small motor revving to make its power there isn't much to be had naturally aspirated. That is fact.

The carbon air box has a different volume and length runners etc that can slightly improve peak power. The resonant frequencies are different with carbon fibre as well as sound dampening characteristics which is what gives it a unique sound.

If you are hardcore about how your motor sounds, if you have more money than brains or just want a cool mod that you think guys will drool over when you pop the hood then buy it. I like the air box but you have got to be in gods name joking I would EVER buy one. I would sooner wrap an oem manifold in Dinoc cf than buy that thing.

Do headers and a tune, get a filter and elbow. You won't gain much but you aren't spending as much either. I suggest leaving it stock because the car is fairly slow compared to today's family sedans and adding 5 hp will put you 5 feet further than the new Camry in a race.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Do headers and a tune, get a filter and elbow. You won't gain much but you aren't spending as much either. I suggest leaving it stock because the car is fairly slow compared to today's family sedans and adding 5 hp will put you 5 feet further than the new Camry in a race.
what camry does a 13sec 1/4 mile stock? come on now..

·
Registered
136 Posts
There are luxury sedans as fast as the m3. I was trying to say if you beat a Camry by 3 car lengths, spending a thousand dollars and you will beat it by 3.25 car lengths. The $/hp ratio is absolutely ridiculous on this car.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The M3 is "fairly slow compared to today's family sedans"? Unless the "family sedans" you are discussing are the Cadillac CTS-V, the AMG Mercedes Benzes, the RS versions of Audi's sedans, and the R versions of Jaguar sedans, I wonder what you have been smoking. While I agree that it is insane to spend $1K for an inconsequential increase in power, the strength of that portion of your post is obscured by the absurdity of your subsequent claim. For what it's worth, when you are talking about a car with well over 300 bhp, it takes substantial increases in power to see any real increase in performance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It was a bit of an exaggeration but there are several cars from Infiniti,Lexus and even the Camry in the 13s. An average launch and the m is a high 13 second car.

I agree about the substantial hp requirement to see any gains that's why I try to save people money when they want more power from the m. Unless you are losing by a bumper on a regular basis or thousandths of a second on a track matter then I would say go for it the 1-2 hp might help a tad. Otherwise save your cash.

·
Registered
278 Posts
There are luxury sedans as fast as the m3. I was trying to say if you beat a Camry by 3 car lengths, spending a thousand dollars and you will beat it by 3.25 car lengths. The $/hp ratio is absolutely ridiculous on this car.
it's a BMW M car. of course the $/HP ratio is wack. Every $/whatever ratio is way out of wack. that's not the point of the car at all! if it were everyone would be driving Camrys (yuck) and no M3 would exist..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts