BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped off the car at Tweeter last night - they have the damn thing for the whole week or so.

Finalized (hopefully) the install plans. I'm going w/ the amplifier "wedge/amp rack" that's flush against the back seat and doesn't protrude too far into the trunk.

They're building a compartment on the left side of the trunk near the turn signals to store the Sirius tuner and the Music Keg.

Here's the cool part - the two EQTs will be mounted on a sliding drawer that's suspended below the rear deck. Anytime I need to tune the thing, just slide out the EQs. Haven't decided if I want the damn thing motorized... :)

'Course the whole thing will have some neons and the usual. All in all, it should be a unique install w/ most of my trunk space still usable.

I told the shop to take pics of everything. I will stop by tonight to see how its proceeding.

-Davin

(Can't wait to see this thing done - but having no car for 3 days sucks..)

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Excellent dude! Sounds very nice! I am also going to do my amp rack behind the seats. You have to let me know how it turns out and also post a bunch of pics! How much is it costing you anyways?

AdamR

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
digitalgm said:
Excellent dude! Sounds very nice! I am also going to do my amp rack behind the seats. You have to let me know how it turns out and also post a bunch of pics! How much is it costing you anyways?

AdamR
Tweeter gave me a great deal on the equipment. All Kenwood excelon and JL audio components. See my previous post for a listing of everything - that turned out at ~$2500.

The labor is being charged at ~$500 a day, probably about 3 days or so of work..

They're cutting me a deal w/ materials charges and all the misc. stuff associated w/ the custom work (cables / kits / dynamat).

Hopefully I can get out of this whole thing under $5k. :)

Not sure if they're using a digital camera or one of those disposable deals. If its digital, I'll be sure to post installation pics after I visit tonight. Otherwise, I should get pics of the whole thing done by this weekend.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day 1

Sorry for no pics yet - I stopped by the shop last night and they're using a regular disposable camera.

I gotta tell you, if you've never seen your car dismantled with wires, trim, carpetting, panels, seats, etc sticking out oll over the place - I don't suggest it. Especially when the damn thing has less than 4k miles on it. One word: painful.

But of course these guys know what they're doing, and they ASSURED me that once its all cleaned up and put back together, I wouldn't have any idea it was pulled apart.

Anyway - they got the dynamat on the door panels, put in the new components, and ran new rca's/power/speaker wire as of yesterday night. Today's the fiberglass stuff for the amp rack, and probably installing the radio and some other electronics.

They must have added a ton of dynamatt to the doors, because these things are SOLID!. I did a "knock" test on the panels, and man, lightyears difference between that and say the rear panel. I can't wait to hear the difference in roadnoise.

I hate waiting for this - I think its almost as bad as it was waiting for the car itself to get delivered to me. Hopefully only 2 more days or so.

·
You ain't fresh AZIMIZ!!!!!
2,535 Posts
Man, your crazy for seeing your car before it was done! My car was under the knife for about a week and a half. I had to ride my motorcycle to work and back everyday 35 min each way. I know it sucks! Can't wait to see those pics.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heh - yeah, tell me about it. I think I'm starting to annoy my installer. I dropped by tonight after work while he was doing the fiberglass piece. Man, that resin stuff stinks, but it looks really nice and strong. The man is an artist - so I think I'll stay out of his way tomorrow night. I'm thinking of buying the whole install bay Lunch/pizza tomorrow to say thanks for the work.

Guys - when you do your installs, TAKE CARE OF YOUR INSTALLERS!! Trust me - establishing a great repoire with these guys is key if you eventually get into this stuff hardcore.

So now all I need to do is start ripping more of my CDs to MP3s. I don't think I can fill up the entire 20 GIGS of Music Keg....

·
Manwhore
2,846 Posts
HOLY ****, 500 a day!!!!! WOW!!!

Yea i got a great friendship with my installer. :)

Also i would love to see and hear your setup man once its done. You should check out www.BmwExperience.com Its mainly full of Chicago BMW owners. We meet once a week to shoot the $hit :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah - I know. Those are Tweeter corporate rates I believe, so I think I'm paying for peice of mind. They end up blowing up my car because they accidentally drilled into my gas tank, I'm certain they can afford to buy me a new car. :) (of course I hope this doesn't happen while i'm IN the car..)

I've verified that my car is the only one they're working on all day, so I figure that's about $60/hour. Why do you think I stop by afterwork? I want to make sure there's "decent" progress made during the last 8 hours. I have an idea about how long this stuff takes, so I'm fairly comfortable w/ how much I'm paying.

And yes, I will DEFINATELY make it to one of the schaumburg meets to meet all you fellow windy city folk once this is done. But damn, can we wait till it warms up a bit? Its friggin COLD...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I was thinking - these DDE/DAE lights run pretty hot right? You think if we get enough fanatics w/ them installed, we could just pop open the hood and use them as a make-shift space heater?

CrazyBimmer said:
hahah good call, it is too cold right now :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
whoo hoo!

Just called my installer - the car is ready for pickup!!!! I WILL post pics by the end of the night, assuming I don't sleep in my car. :)

drgalleg said:
So I was thinking - these DDE/DAE lights run pretty hot right? You think if we get enough fanatics w/ them installed, we could just pop open the hood and use them as a make-shift space heater?

·
Manwhore
2,846 Posts
drgalleg said:

haha no way man, they dont run that hot at all. Bunch of us have them including me. :D

cant wait to see your new setup!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey im in the chicago area and i wanted to know where did u buy your car from. I bought mine from fields which is right by tweeter and i wanted to check out your car so if your ever around by fields gettin a carwash or somthin i would wanna come check out your car.

BTW congrats on your car.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got the car from Fields also - Jack Baker was my salesguy who gave me a GREAT deal and treated me really well during the whole ordering process.

PM me your email address and we can talk about meeting up at Fields or something.

BTW: the install is DONE. Check out the first set of pics here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com//showthread.php?s=&threadid=55891

Casper Ci said:
Hey im in the chicago area and i wanted to know where did u buy your car from. I bought mine from fields which is right by tweeter and i wanted to check out your car so if your ever around by fields gettin a carwash or somthin i would wanna come check out your car.

BTW congrats on your car.

·
Network Analyst
3,487 Posts
Hey, which Tweeter did you go to? The one in Schaumburg? If so, was the installer's name Corey, a dude with redish hair?

dave

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope - went to the one in Wilmette. The installer was Fernando - he took my requirements, dealt w/ my constant nagging (ok, it wasn't TOO bad), and did a great job.

If you go there, tell them Davin w/ the blue bimmer sent you.

Commander FAT said:
Hey, which Tweeter did you go to? The one in Schaumburg? If so, was the installer's name Corey, a dude with redish hair?

dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts