BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear drivers side window on my 02 sedan made a pop/crack sound today when my wife put it down then refused to go back up. I was able to push it up from the out side and it seems to be holding there pretty well. Is is ok to leave it like that until I get the replacement parts or do I need to remove the inner panel and reinforce it?

Also does anyone know of any good deals out there on regulators right now?

Sorry for posting another regulator thread, I know the first question has been covered a million times. I wanted to get the most up to date info for question two and thought it would be easier to post question one at the same time

·
Sienna Red Coupe
6,724 Posts
Did you push the window up without any help from the window motor? If so, the only think holding that window up is the friction against the rubber seal. If that is the case, I'd consider fixing it sooner then later.

·
Registered
209 Posts
^ what he said.

Why don't you do the zip tie fix. I have done it and it works great. If you look at the failure on these parts it makes no sense to waste the money on a new window regulator that will brake soon when a zip tie will fix the original design flaw.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
i would put a line of masking tape at the top while its dry incase it falls down when driving over bumps.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The window regulator on my '03 broke as the dealer opened my window during an inspection...so I lucked out and had that one replaced free of charge. I have two other windows that "pop" once in awhile. I'm definitely interested in learning about the zip tie fix.

·
Registered
209 Posts
^ super easy. Look at the stickied diy thread and you ll see it. basically you remove the door panel, airbag, vapor barrier, window motor. Then unbolt the regulator and remove it. Then you use 4 zip small ties on each side to secure the cable to the plastic piece. I had to do it to 2 regulators so far and I may go do the other two soon. When they go out you either cannot move the window or the motor is pulling the window up from one side which means you are overworking the motor. To me that is more significant than the popping noise.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll look into the zip tie fix. When I pushed the window up my wife pulled the switch up so I guess it is being held there. I pull down on it (gently) and it didn't go anywhere. I did get a nice big vertical scratch in my window tint though. I hope the local shop can match my tint that was done in NY but I have no idea what brand it is

·
Sienna Red Coupe
6,724 Posts
Call me crazy, but I'd just fix the window with a new regulator. I wouldn't trust a bunch of zip ties to solve the problem.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Call me crazy, but I'd just fix the window with a new regulator. I wouldn't trust a bunch of zip ties to solve the problem.
Can't really trust the regulators either. I'm off Tuesday so I will probably do the zip tie fix then replace the regulator later if this isn't an all day job. It looks pretty simple from the description in the link but I know that's rarely the case. I was prying on my wood trim earlier and it seems pretty snug. If its brittle it may break which would not be good.

BTW, any idea what cause the scratch on my window tint when the regulator broke. It's from me pushing the window up but from the pictures in the link I don't see what would be sticking out that far

·
Sienna Red Coupe
6,724 Posts
Inside the door, your window is millimeters away from all of the moving parts. Whatever broke likely pressed up against the glass.

·
Registered
209 Posts
^^ Thats the one I used and yeah it is more or less the same on the rear. I would say 40min to 2 hours depending on if you want to take your time or just get it done real quick. I usually take a long time on stuff because I like to look at everything I touch to figure out what it is and what it does. The trim is fairly easy to get off using a screwdriver to pry with and it is somewhat flexible.

^I am not going to call you crazy but I would rather not pay for a replacement component that has a design flaw when I can fix the design flaw and make the original component fully operable for free. Worst thing that could happen is it doesn't work and you end up having to buy a regulator, so no loss of money. In my opinion you are more likely to have to fix it a second time if you just put another oem regulator in.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You dont take off the panel by taking off the trim. I think the car you are thinking of is the e36. We have 5 screws and a whole bunch of clips before you can get back there. That is if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
209 Posts
^Absolutely, in order to get to those 2 screws the trim has to come off. Just follow the directions for removing it that are in that diy. It comes off surprisingly easy.

·
Vendor
13,153 Posts
We have replacement regulators available below...

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

1 - 20 of 36 Posts